-
Posts
641 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by theeggmaster
-
We use the smaller ones (Acer C720/C730) for pupils, and tend to go for the HP 14 for staff. We use SIMS for our MIS, but have Bromcom Webfolder SD for web-based registration. Later this year when the Android App store is available, I'm planning to use the Android version of Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to our RemoteApp server to run full SIMS.
-
Thanks for this. I've ordered a mixed size/colour kit from CPC to see how I get on.
-
I'm first looking to replace the insulation on some Chromebook power cables that were caught in the door when a cabinet was moved. Longer term I'll probably look to bundle AV cables together, so I'll need a range of sizes.
-
I'm looking to purchase some heat shrink tubing and a heat gun, but having not used any before, I wonder if there are any recommendations? Is it pretty much buy as cheaply as possible or does the quality matter?
-
ergo.co.uk Anyone ever used these?
theeggmaster replied to frazzlesgrant's topic in Recommended Suppliers
I've used them for competitive quotes before, and had one of their units in to have a go. Their pricing was very good and the build quality seemed decent. I believe their support is from Zoostorm. However, I've not used the support so I don't know what that is actually like. -
Chromebook - Remote Access (Microsoft)
theeggmaster replied to WithoutMotive's topic in How do you do....it?
It's coming to the two flip Chromebooks (Acer and Asus) and the Chromebook Pixel to start with, but after that it'll roll out over the rest of the year to other Chromebooks. The list is here. It looks like they're basing compatibility on age of Chromebook, not spec, as the Chromebit is one of the devices featured, and it's quite low-powered. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on an Acer R11 Chromebook to test how the Play Store will work when it's released to the Developer channel later this month. Google dropped Google Play for Education on tablets back in March, where you could control apps and push them to devices. Hopefully they'll be building some of that functionality into the Chromebook version of the Play Store. -
Do you use a Ticket System/Help-desk System?
theeggmaster replied to KoolTech's topic in General Chat
Spiceworks here too. Our staff just email the it.support email address and it logs the job automatically. I also use it as a reminder system for when I'm out and about if someone catches me. I just email it.support and use the Tickets Anywhere hashtag to assign the job to me. When I'm back at my desk I have a list of jobs that I've already forgotten I'd sent in the first place. -
Chromebook - Remote Access (Microsoft)
theeggmaster replied to WithoutMotive's topic in How do you do....it?
I've been looking at the for a while, and 3s-gtech's solution of Remote Spark is a good one. You could also look at Guacamole and FreeRDP-Webconnect I'm also looking forward to the Play Store coming to Chromebooks, as you could just use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Android app (which I use on my phone). -
The one without iOSSearchLanguage is the one that the Google Search team suggested I try, after the default search URL didn't work. Bear in mind it took me over a year and a half to get this answer from them. We were down to using Bing for searching (even though we're a Google Apps for Education school).
-
Originally in the Group Policy, we had the setting http://www.google.co.uk/search?q={searchTerms}&hl=en&gl=uk I've copied the advice I received from Google in July 2015 below: -----------------------Start of Google email----------------------- Thanks for the thorough response and info. I contacted the search team who suggested the following: - They should review their network for evidence of Hola installs, which is a peer-to-peer VPN service that often proxies abuse. They may be able to track down machines running the Hola exit node by looking for DNS lookups in the domain hola.org. If DNS logs are not available, watch for traffic to the IPs their DNS entries point to -- some likely DNS names they use are included in the analysis athttps://malwr.com/analysis/ZDE4MTBjZGYwYmY4NDdkYjk0YmUwNzljODY3OWVhOTA/ - Changing default settings can cause problems... in particular they say they changed the Chrome default search engine to http://www.google.co.uk/search?q={searchTerms}&hl=en&gl=uk -- they should put this back to its default setting of: {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:bookmarkBarPinned}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:omniboxStartMarginParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding} - Separating the BYOD devices from the managed devices is a good idea. I'm not clear on whether they've already done this (are the BYOD machine all on the guest network?). Note that blocks may take some time to expire, but if they make the above changes they should see improvement within a few hours. -----------------------End of Google email----------------------- So I just pasted that code in, and voila, it worked for us.
-
The one that is in Pastebin is what is in my actual Group Policy {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:bookmarkBarPinned}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:omniboxStartMarginParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding} The one I pasted in my last post is what Google Chrome is reporting in chrome://settings/searchEngines {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:iOSSearchLanguage}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding} However, as pasting the original code in Pastebin into Group Policy worked for me first time and seemed to fix the Captcha issue, I had never had a cause to check chrome://settings/searchEngines.
-
You could try Google Hangouts on Air.
-
It's definitely applying for me: {google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:iOSSearchLanguage}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding}
-
Help setting up MS Azure Active Directory Connect
theeggmaster replied to tj2419's topic in Cloud Services
Is it possible that Lightspeed is blocking ports internally? -
Help setting up MS Azure Active Directory Connect
theeggmaster replied to tj2419's topic in Cloud Services
Was this an upgrade to Azure AD Connect, or a fresh installation? I ask because I did an upgrade from ADSync and Microsoft spent 2 hours trying to fix the installation. Eventually we agreed to just uninstall and reinstall after removing all components. That worked first time (I didn't have any data to lose as I was just testing O365. We're using GAfE at the moment). -
BBC MicroBit................Are they unicorns?
theeggmaster replied to RobWilson-BBR's topic in General Chat
I agree with using the Raspberry Pi. They could have even used the Pi Zero. I'm looking at the Micro:Bit on my desk, trying to think of what to do with it. In the meantime I've got a Raspberry Pi timelapse camera, NagiosPi monitoring and 15 Raspberry Pis used for Python coding through PiNet. -
Could a firewall on the clients be blocking the NTP port?
-
What issues you experienced? No real issues. Staff were concerned about pupils misusing the devices in class. How you dealt with these issues? As a school we adopted a policy that devices could be used in class, but only with staff permission. Staff found that if devices were used in lessons then they weren't under the desk being used. We also have in our policy that the use of 3G/4G etc is prohibited so that pupils use our WiFi. This is so we could help with tracing misuse or bullying, whereas using 3G/4G we couldn't help them. What did you implement/upgrade as part of your BYOD implementation? I set up a completely separate network on a 192.168 range. This had DHCP from the wireless controller and Smoothwall for the filtering. Students accept a local certificate onto their devices, which allows them to authenticate via 802.11x to AD. This then allows us to track their browsing in Smoothwall against their AD credentials. What technical and hardware changes you made to your network? I put our BYOD network on a completely separate network so that our internal network is protected. We're a GAfE school so 95% of our work is on Google Apps. Anything else that is required is accessed over RemoteApp. What would you do differently if you were to redo it? I'm just about to redo it as we're moving into a new school with a new wireless system (Aerohive). I'd prefer more control over DHCP as it's currently handed out via our Trapeze wireless controller and there is no opportunity to do anything. I'm looking to run it on a Win2012R2 DHCP server instead. Currently all filtering is down to student level for anyone connecting to the BYOD network, so I'd also prefer to split the filtering out to student, staff and visitor level. What did you do about students without laptops/tablets and pupil premium students? We don't require that you have a device to learn at our school. If it's available and your teacher lets you use it, then you can use it. If the lesson requires IT, then I believe it's down to the school to provide this. We use Chromebooks where we can, and we also run a parental contribution scheme to purchase Chromebooks. We have used some pupil premium money to buy a few additional Chromebooks which are then assigned to relevant Pupil Premium pupils. These are on loan and come back into school when the child leaves. Insurance and support, did you get parents to cover it or do you provide IT hardware and software support? If you do what insurance cover do you have to cover damage you may cause? Parental contribution Chromebooks have theft and warranty for 3 years (they only pay for 2, so get an extra year for free). We have in our BYOD policy that the school does not require pupils to bring mobile devices into school, so the school is not liable for any theft/loss/damage etc. It's worded better in our BYOD policy. How does your school deal with misbehavior in class, as it is the students device and we would have it on segregated VLAN we couldn't use impero or similar? Use in class is at the teacher's discretion. Any misuse is therefore handled in the same way as any classroom disruption. We don't have any control or management of pupil devices. What policy do you have in place for BYOD, could you share it? Do you cover in your they at their own risk connecting to the network (potential virus spreading between student devices)? Our policy is here, and it does cover accessing the Internet at their own risk, as well as installing apps or updates (we don't require that any apps are used. We always try and use apps that are browser-based only to avoid this issue).
-
I've just had a phonecall from a supplier saying that they are organising a roadshow near us, with all the big names; HP, Dell, Steljes...
-
I currently upgrade our server from an ISO provided by the LA.
-
Even with read and execute permissions it doesn't work. I also checked the permissions on the folder with the staff member logged on, and the permissions are as expected.
-
Aah, that's one thing I forgot to mention. We are supported by our LA and as far as I can tell, they don't currently have a plan to move to SOLUS3. That's why I'm still working on this...
