Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

RobC

Members
  • Posts

    391
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RobC

  1. RobC

    Removing printers

    Ok. I've found a solution of sorts. I'm now using the Prnmngr.vbs script that appears to come with Windows XP. @Chris: Cheers for the pointer. I might look down that route if I ever get more time/vbscript skills. @_Rob_: Was trying to avoid this but I think it's going to have to be the way. @apeo: Unfortunately, I've already tried that script. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's actually looking for the beginnings of a UNC path in the printer settings, which these won't have as they're running direct to an IP address. Either way, thanks for the responses. And if anyone's interested in it, you can find out more about Prnmngr.vbs here
  2. RobC

    Removing printers

    Ok, I need a script that will remove all printers from a workstation, EXCEPT where that printer is connected via LPT or USB. Basically, all of our network printers are connected directly to the network and so are installed on the PC as Local printers using a Standard TCP/IP Port. I now need to remove them as I need to do a bulk update of drivers and printer types (so many changes!). I've tried variations of the scripts I've found on here, but none seem to actually work. Anyone know how to do what I'm after? And no, I can't run them all through a server or use logon scripts (don't you just love managed services!). Cheers all, Rob Cowan.
  3. RobC

    Pearson E1

    What sort of issues? Does it now like relationships? j/k Can you elaborate more, or is it confidential info? Cheers, Rob.
  4. RobC

    iMovie crashing

    Cheers for that, Indie. That worked a treat. My Drama dept sends its eternal gratitude to you!
  5. RobC

    iMovie crashing

    Cheers for the reply Indie. I'll give that a try & let you know how I get on (although it might take a while - I'm not Mac literate myself...).
  6. RobC

    iMovie crashing

    Our drama department have just bought an eMac for video editing. Unfortunately, when they connect the camera it all goes pearshaped! If they have iMovie set to NTSC it (obviously) gives an error saying that it can't work with the PAL footage on the camera. If we change the video mode to PAL, however, iMovie simply crashes with the message: The setup is a 1GHz PowerPC G4 w/512Mb RAM, MacOS 10.3.9, iMovie version 3.0.3 The camera is a Canon MV750i connected to the Mac with a (brand new) firewire cable. Anyone got any ideas? RobC.
  7. Unfortunately, you do have to pay to access Expert's Exchange (unless there really is a free subscription hidden deep in the bowels of the site...).
  8. Yes you should, shouldn't you...
  9. RobC

    Pearson E1

    Anyone tested Pearson E1 yet? This is the successor to Pearson Phoenix Gold (which we are using) and we should be receiving it probably in the next academic year. All I know at the moment is that it's web-based and one install should cover all schools in an authority. Anyone got anymore info than that?
  10. If not by Ashok's method, then there should be another method within Server 2k3 to greate your own certificate as I've done it using my Small Business Server to get an SSL certificate for Outlook Web Access & Remote Web Workplace.
  11. Another offer here for hosting it. I've got plenty of space going spare that I never use & quite a lot of bandwidth. RobC
  12. We had quite a few problems with this to start with when we implemented Groupcall. Things smoothed out after about a month when parents got the hint and actually informed the school of planned absences/latenesses. Our registration teachers are quite good in that they can get the right box ticked (most of the time!), and we don't actually send out the messages until after first period is over to allow late people time to arrive. RobC.
  13. Another vote for Groupcall here. We've been using it for about five months now and it is fantastic. It has a version for use with every major MIS program, and the company are very friendly & helpful if there's a problem. Highly recommended.
  14. And Sleuth is...?
  15. Excellent. I was rather hoping someone would give a good response about IMF. Rob.
  16. Yes I know, I really should use a better DB package. Unfortunately, I can't use anything else on the school network, and it's what I know so... Does anyone know of any usable software to aid in the design of an Access database. I am planning one that will cover call logging, inventory, software licensing, etc - basically all the things that there are plenty of PHP solutions for but I need to design it in Access. At the moment I am flitting between using Mk.1 Pen & Paper and DDS-Lite for the actual table design. But I'm not keen on DDS as it's a bit of a pain to get my head around. Also, I'm sick of doing the actual design within Access because I always get carried away with extra stuff that doesn't need to be there, which ends up bogging down the DB and confusing me when I forget why I put it there. So what does everyone else recommend...?
  17. Ok, it's time to resurrect a dead thread.. I'm still trying to get a solution to the wonders of spam on our network, and I know now that other schools in the area are having the same battle with our managed service provider. Here are the criteria for our antispam solution: 1. It has to be free 2. It has to integrate into our existing Exchange 2003 setup (which makes SP2 a good candidate for the solution). 3. It definitely has to be free! 4. We can't use a linux box. So... I am currently researching the Intelligent Message Filter for Exchange 2k3 and would like to know if anyone is running it, and how successful it actually is. I know it's based on the same technology as the spam filter in Outlook 2k3 which I have had quite a bit of success with, but how well does that technology scale up to mailserver level? And how easy is it to administer?
  18. Hmmm. Think I might test this with a machine and see if it has any bearing on the long logon times here...
  19. Pear, I would recommend changing the power supply in this machine - it sounds like one of the voltage rails has gone. I had this on my main PC at home and it blew two sound cards and a memory chip before I figured it out. I still think it's damaged the MB to some degree, but I can't afford a replacement at the moment. I have since replaced the PSU and everything seems to be running fine. And for the price of a PSU, it's worth a try.
  20. Ok, I've just had a sneaky peak into the DHCP & DNS settings (although I shouldn't) and the DNS servers listed in DHCP are the main DCs in the server farm. Am I correct in thinking that my local DNS server should be the primary DNS, with the server farm DNS server being the secondary? And what changes may be required within the DNS settings themselves? RobC.
  21. Funny, I had a feeling it was DNS. Once again though, I don't have the necessary access to do this, but at least I have some information to tell them. Cheers, DB
  22. As part of our managed service, our network is a WAN covering all primary & secondary schools in the area. All secondary schools have two servers locally, one of which is a DC, DNS & DHCP server, while there is a server farm centrally that holds the main DC, ISA, Exchange, etc, servers. Am I correct in my assumptions that if the main server farm goes down, or we lose the link to it, we should still be able to operate on a local level (albeit without internet, external e-mail, or connections to other schools)? At the moment what happens is that logons take about 20 minutes, and then you cannot access any network drives or applications which makes it pointless logging on. I really want to have my facts straight for writing to them so any advice is welcome.
  23. Ok, thanks for all your replies. I'll send an e-mail to Lexmark asking their opinion (although they'll probably try & sell me new printers...), and then I'll take it forward to Fujitsu. RobC
  24. Already got & tried Ric (only computer supply I've ever bought that came with a chemical hazard safety sheet!). Works occasionally on a couple of them, but then a week later they're back to jamming. I'd love to get some nice Epsons in, but the SMT are reluctant to pay for printers when they are part of the managed service, and I can't say I blame them.
  25. Anyone got any idea of the lifespan of a Lexmark Optra laser printer? Ours are approximately seven years old and run into the ground. They have printed anywhere between 7000 & 17000 pages over their lifespan but all seem to be having faults with their NVRAM or they will only accept maybe ten sheets of paper without calling a phantom paper jam. Overall, they are nice printers - 25,000 page cartridges at roughly £80 a time, print quality is great, and the drum appears to be integrated into the cartridge but when I'm spending half my life trying to reset them, and the other half waiting for Fujitsu to bring me a replacement, I get a bit annoyed. Added to that, the replacements are 2nd-user units from another Fuj contract and they are not being properly refurbished. The only work being done to them is our local Fuj engineers fixing the initial problem as best they can (they are not trained Lexmark engineres, but they do their best). So we tend to find that the replacements fail after about six to eight months. What I would really like is to be able to say "Look, these printers are beyond their economic life. As they are an integral part of the contract I feel some or all should be refreshed with high-quality replacements, else we cannot really do our jobs in the school." But in order to do that, I need to be able to prove it. Anyone got any ideas (other than me not rambling on so much...)?
×
×
  • Create New...