Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. I think I've been stupid and effectively installed the default SharePoint site over the top of the LNM console site (on port 80). I'm going to try un-installing SharePoint.
  2. I installed SharePoint services (SP2 version) on my test LNM server. The LNM Console now appears to have died. It just reports a 404 (file not found) error. I could certainly trash the server and start again (very easy thanks to LNM setup), but that's not the point is it? Or is it? I just don't know anymore Obviously not mega urgent but if anyone has any ideas... Could it be a security thing that SharePoint has installed?
  3. Hmmm... At not point were the permissions in the registry changed during this procedure. Registry permissions are usually sorted out when using the Windows GUI to copy profiles from palce to place. This cannot be done in this instance however, as the profile is already disconnected from it's original source PC. NB - The file permissions on the NTUSER.DAT are nothing to do with the permissions built into the registry file itself, although it goes without saying that to edit the file you should have at least Change access to it. It is possible to load NTUSER.DAT into REGEDIT and make the changes. The user hive will appear unter HKEY_USERS with the name chosen when the file is loaded. Changes to permissions can then be made. BE SURE TO UNLOAD the hive before exiting Regedit if you decide to do this.
  4. How about this (I know it's a bit wordy but sadly it was the first thing to come into my head) On the front: EduGeek to rule them all, EduGeek to find them, EduGeek to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. On the back: (same as front but in elvish or something!)
  5. Yep, MSI install of SmartBoard software works fine. I use an MST to tweak some of the settings.
  6. For a start, any path with a space in it needs surrounding by double quotes "" e.g. xcopy "\\server4\profiles$\pupils\start menu" c:\pupils\menu /e /y
  7. Just to point out that all 3 titles mentioned here (Office, .NET and JAVA) have MSI based installers which are perfectly suited to installation via GPO. - Get the Office Custom Installation Wizard (from the Office Resoure Kit) to create custom transforms for Office - Can't remember where I got my .NET MSI from, but it should be quite easy (appdeploy.com may be of use) - The SUNS JAVA installer IS MSI based but is hidden away in the .EXE. Again, there is a method on appdeploy.com which explains how to obtain the MSI. I use a custom transform which disables the autoupdate routine.
  8. Finding the occasional MSI setup that has an intelligent Admin install mode is just one of lifes little pleasures that makes the job that bit more bearable. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Avantis CD Server client software, which asks for the server IP address and number of virtual drives during the admin setup. In general though, anything that a clever admin setup can do can also be done with a transform. Transforms are easy to generate with Orca or Tuner (used to be free download from InstallShield)
  9. I now have Wise (with all the fancy conflict detection etc.), but prior to getting that I produced getting on for 200 MSIs of curriculum software using the basic repackager in InstallShield. I've had no problems with conflicts, although all my PCs are built fresh (ie RIS build then all MSI based software).
  10. Does the domain admin account have a roaming profile set?
  11. It's funny how things are different isn't it. I RIS build my PCs and push .NET1.1, Office and Clicker 5 as MSI files and have never had a problem (apart from the 8.3 issue, which is an MSI issue really, not Clicker). He ho.
  12. Why is it so hard to find the RSS link for the forum feed? Logical places would surely be; 1 - Home page 2 - EduGeek RSS Feeds 3 - EduGeek Forums .. but I can't find it on any of these. I have to go to the FAQ and I can't find the link for that either!!! Please tell me I'm not stupid (or at least break it to me gently).
  13. Clicker 5 has worked brilliantly for me (I'm used to Clicker 4 which was a bit of a nightmare MSI-wise). It's worth downloading the latest updates once the server install is done. This will create a new Workstation MSI. The only problem I've hit IIRC is that the client MSI did not work if the path to the server install had a space in it e.g. '\\server\apps\clicker 5' but was fine with '\\server\apps\clicker5'. This may actually be a LFN issue. MSI has problems with paths to network locations which usually have to be created in 8.3 format which would mean 'clicker 5' would appear as 'clicke~1'. The tech people at Crick are quite helpful also.
  14. Hmm... Ibought a 2nd hand teletype (it weighed half a ton!) and managed to get it working on the Superboard. When it finally gave up the ghost I took it bits, which took weeks. I've still got bits of it knocking about in the garage. Ahhh memories.... Emulators are OK, but it's not the same.
  15. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I understood change management to be a bit more than just keeping track of what is on your PC. The change management process is designed to formalize any changes to the configuration of the system (adding users or software, reconfiguring services etc), to plan the implementation of the change, the impact, the risks, a backout plan etc. I can't see anything in Parago or IRM which does any of this. They both look like assett management programs.
  16. I'm feeling just a little bit wikiti wikiti wikiti oooold schoool and I was wondering what the oldest computer any of you guys have owned or used. I'll get the board rolling; First PC I had contact with was a Comodore PET (built in tape drive and silly square keyboard) which my school bought. Then my next door neighbour had an Apple ][ (mmmmmm nice), which I got to play with when he went away on holiday. The first computer I actually owned was an Ohio Superboard II (6502 @ 1MHz, 4KB RAM). When I bought it, it was wrapped in silver foil (to prevent static damage I guess). I brought it home and set it up in front of the family TV. Rather than stand it on the carpet, I thought I would leave it on the foil.....DOH! Fortunately just blew the fuse in the PSU! I did loads of hardware mods on this and learned the basics of BASIC. Also dabbled in machine code to speed up graphics. 'Had to write yer own games in them days ;-)' so I did! Moved on to a BBC Model B (mmm Elite, Defender) then Atari 1040ST (good for Steinberg PRO24 and freebie games on magazine disks). Then used a succession of boring PCs courtesy of my employer until building my own budget rig a year ago (P4 2.8 etc.) So come on you lot, spill the beans....
  17. (sorry to keep adding posts! My TV based browser won't let me edit existing posts!) LNM might also be useful as a demonstration of the various technologies that it uses. Admins who do not currently use RIS, GP etc. Could quickly install LNM (on a space or virtual PC) and then play with a working system that allows RIS builds, software installation, roaming profiles (yeeha!) etc.
  18. P.S. Has anyone tested the enable/disable Internet for the computer lab feature?
  19. Yep, I'd go along with that. I was initially excited at the prospect of a Microsoft add-on, even a semi-official one, to take on RM, Viglen et al. My hopes where fairly quickly dashed though. As Dos_Box says, providing LNM through partners seems logical. It is not simple enough for a totally non-technical user to set up a network (can't image anything that woud be come to that) and it's not clever enough to do all the things that the average EduGeek level user would want. It does, however, provide some quite easy to use User/Group/Software management facilities which would probably be suitable for a Primary school. It could also be of use to an LEA who manage a group of small schools. If you are into automation and RIS, though, it's worth having a look at some of the scripts that Microsoft have used in the product. For instance, in the RIS build which is created, a script is added to CMDLINES.TXT (iirc) which moves the computer into the correct OU on first boot. I might well 'borrow' that idea for my own builds. The scripts which configure the server are similarly enlightening on what can be done from the command line. So in summary; close...ish but definitely no cigar.
  20. Strange. It should just be a question of loading the correct ADM templates. I suppose you could print out the GPMC report of all the settings and then recreate a new GPO with the same settings.
  21. No, it attempts to put an easy to use face on RIS and the Software Installation component in Group Policy. It also makes group management easier and supports the 'promotion' of all student accounts from one year to the next. The other main feature is that it allows a group of schools to be managed/monitored from a central point (e.g. LEA). To be honest, if you are sufficiently tech savvy to be hanging out on EduGeek, then you probably don't need much from LNM.
  22. Possibly its doing an ASCII compare. "50" is > "254" whereas "10" < "200".
  23. Are they the settings for XP firewall? That's what I usually see in 'Extra Registry Settings'. As a least resort you could try using GPMC to backup the GPO, which creates an XML file. You should then be able to edit the XML file and re-import it.
  24. When I installed on Virtual PC, I had problems until I increased the memory allocation to 256Mb, but I'm sure everyone here has more memory than that. I did a bit of investigation and it looks like when you boot from the original CD, it redirects the boot into the LNM.ISO file. This ISO contains a copy of WinPE and burried in there is a VB app call MAXI.EXE. I tried extracting this and running it, and sure enough, it is the wizard that runs when you boot the CD to do the install. The only other minor glitch I had was related to the fact that I was using Virtual PC and doing everything from .ISO images. When prompted for the XP or 2K3 disk, I had to remap the ISO and there was a short delay before the new CDs appeared in the installation wizard dialog box.
×
×
  • Create New...