Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. It's fairly easy to redirect the favourites folder using a registry hack. This can be done by writing a custom .ADM template, or using the freebie Policy Maker Registry Extension (see Essential software wiki). The key you are looking for is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites
  2. I would like to see Microsoft remove all the options for customizing Windows. The number of ways people manage to f**k up there desktop never ceases to amaze me. It makes telephone support a nightmare. Even MS appear to agree on this one as they are simplifying the user interface in the latest version of Office. One thing that never made sense to me is the Start menu. Why not just call it the Menu button. It seems so stupid to have to click on Start when I actually want to Stop my PC!!! Not that I'm at all jaded, bitter and twisted but STOP HAVING FUN AND GET ON WITH YOUR WORK!!
  3. You can make it into a DVD that includes the Win2k3 sp1 and WinXP sp2 cd files. Saves all the disk swapping, but obviously needs severs with dvd-rom drives.
  4. Hmmm. I made an ISO of mine with burnatonce then used it to install on Virtual PC. Doddle.
  5. I'm doing an LNM server install now in Virtual PC. It looks quite slick so far...
  6. It looks like there is a copy of WinPE in LNM!
  7. I lent on a Microsoft guy pretty hard to get my copy and put in a big mention for EduGeek. Hope this helped.
  8. Hmmm... looks interesting. More info here (but not much!)
  9. Maybe all edugeekers could wear their official bettshow badges upside down or something like that... I might print out the website logo and glue it onto my bettshow badge. (PS - I'll be there on Wednesday, 95% certainty)
  10. You may want to have a look at the WIKI page on the subject of network management systems here. It's very much a work in progress, but may be of some use.
  11. Cool. Can you 'subscribe' to the moblog on your phone so that you get SMS when someone posts to the log? If not, I guse you need to keep checking the site for updates.
  12. Also, be aware that there are different minor versions of ISScript. By which I mean that there are different releases of partitcular versions. I had this problem with a particular app which needed (I think) ISScript9. I downloaded what I thought was the latest version from InstallShield web site but the app still would not install. I had to install the version of ISScript9 that came on the disk with the app. When I examined the MSI files, the version was slightly different. The other annoying thing about the different ISScript versions is that they share the same MSI product code.
  13. Sorry I'm a bit slow... What's a mob log?
  14. Is there perhaps some confusion here about the term 'managed networks' and 'managed service'? Is Ross2K5's ICT manager perhaps seeking a managed network (i.e. a network he does not need to manage himself but is managed by a service provider) rather than network management tools? Just wondering...
  15. I would say that before you take on tasks like those that Dos_Box mentions, you should remind yourself that if you do it once, you'll be expected to do it again, and for everyone else to! In general, IT people go out of there way to help those less able, and I've seen this become a problem several times. It's OK when you've got plenty of time, but you have to be prepared to tell people NO when there are other priorities. Good luck!
  16. Is this a single disk system?! Is there a hardware RAID? If so, can you determine the config. Assuming you are on SIMS.NET, then all the required files are under SIMS\Setups. You just run SIMSINST.EXE and select the right options!
  17. Also, look closely at the date/times of events in the system/application log. when I had this problem, the events recorded had time stamps which appeared to be out of sequence!!!
  18. As long as you have a full backup of SIMS, then reinstallation is not too bad. Set up a blank system, restore from backup then restore SIMS. I once went on a course to learn about recovering dead NT/2K servers like this, but it's such a fiddle that it's often as easy to start again.
  19. You might find something here...
  20. The other point I would make is that setup authors should not use the InstallShield Script technologies. These are a nightmare for GPO deployment.
  21. I'm to try to impress upon every software supplier the importance of producing good MSI based installers, which can run properley using Group Policy. If all other EduGeeks would do this too, it would make me very happy. Or am I totally off the mark with this one???
  22. I had just this problem with a load of Viglen PCs (which had the SiS 900 NIC). I had to make the following registry change... reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue /t REG_DWORD /d 60
  23. If you can make the installation run silently, by adding parameters to SETUP.EXE, then it can be wrapped in an external MSI (see Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard in the Essential Software List)
  24. Does it have an SiS900 NIC?
  25. http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/
×
×
  • Create New...