Alex
Members-
Posts
114 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Alex
-
nice, but no good for ADSL
-
some ideas here: http://www.slipstick.com/exs/olroam.htm
-
haha, thought I'd probably drop myself in it. no offense intended ofc.
-
Never known a member who was any good at IT
-
not a classlink network is it?
-
I got the GF a video ipod, regretted it since Christmas day as she hassles me to convert friends/Felicity/ER etc dvds to MP4 format :-/
-
Weigh up TCO and functionality, then pick your product. I find alot of people put open source in JUST because it's open source, they then spend 6 weeks trying to make it work. Even in education, time is money.
-
ok, that's my new favourite!
-
you're going to be asked to do an awful lot of different things. If it's electrical / mechanical and has more than one switch it's your problem! Problems with office application & printers would probably consume a reasonable proportion of your time. Fetching & carrying stuff / moving PCs. The only thing you really need is an apptitude for computer stuff, you'll pick up more complicated stuff as you need to. Oh and Teachers love people who hold their hand through everything, so sitting with someone whilst they do something inanely simple will make you appear wonderful to them. If your interested I could probably put you in touch with the guy who runs if not the, one of the Largest Schools in Europe (North London), but you would need the background check thingy (I forget what it's called). I setup and ran the place for a couple of years before having had enough of schools.
-
it's possible using the built in pop3 connector, but if you *really* want to do it that way you're better off with something like : http://www.jam-software.com/smartpop2exchange/ I'd advise you to think about having your mail come in direct via smtp. Very simple to do, all you need is broadband and a router that can handle port forwarding.
-
It's a damn site easier to install & manage too. Though you need to AD / Forest Prep for 2k3. (easy anyway)
-
Exchange is so cheap on Educational pricing they might as well give it away. Quote from a few months ago: Microsoft Exchange Server Licence £95.00 each Exchange Server CAL's £1.25 each
-
you can push to a server in the dmz if you prefer. Just needs a few ports open
-
Windows Media Encoder - dead easy http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx (free)
-
assp http://assp.sourceforge.net/ run it on a win box with perl (installer does it all) Easy Windows installer: http://www.andersonit.com/assp.html Very nice package. I have 2, one as primary one as secondary MX, tertiary at isp.
-
Why are the badges flashing? My 2850s dont do that :-(
-
are those 2850s in the Rack?
-
I'd disagree but each to their own of course!
-
I'd secure another job then push for a redundancy settlement on the basis of constructive dissmisal. They can't keep dicking you around for 18 months. Your answer to the why did you leave question could be along the following lines: 'The work was outsourced to staff in the US, this diminished a sizable proportion of my role and I need more of a challenge' Don't mention sickness or stress. If asked if you've had time off say you were ill for a good few weeks with but this is unusual for you and you're fine now. Don't mention unions either.
-
Pffft, just turn the damn thing off and go offsite for a meeting - give him a first hand demonstration of the carnage.
-
http://www.nebula-electronics.com/ Stuff Media centre. PVR / Network multicasting / Web server for scheduling recordings. Best of all, it's completely open - you can play back the recorded files on any PC.
-
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~94346~/NETGEAR%20GS748T%2048%20PORT%2010%2F100%2F1000%20GIGABIT%20RACKMOUNT%20SMART%20SWITCH.htm 48 Port, Gigabit and 'light' Managed for £500! Work well - they're not as configurable as some, but the useful stuff is in there without being complicated.
-
If you like that give Eve a try: http://www.eve-online.com/features/ same kind of thing, but online
-
Volvo V70 D5 http://www.volvocars.co.uk/Showroom/V70/Gallery/Exterior/
