Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Alex

Members
  • Posts

    114
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alex

  1. No, I have seen it in action though. I was hoping someone could point out some of the things OWA can do that we wouldn't get with Zimbra -on the face of it Zimbra has more functionality but I might have missed something. -also does OWA 2003 work properly with non-ie browsers? I had zimbra installed and configured in no time at all and hte configuration is all web-based and is straightfoward (i've no exchange MCP so I can't really compare -but I know we do have more problems with Ex2000 than with our OSS email servers). I guess the real issue would be actually doing the migration (120 staff) whereas I guess an upgrade on exchange would just upgrade. Also - what sort of licensing would we need to put all students (1650) onto exchange? how much would this cost? and what are the benefits? I can probably let you have a play with my OWA setup, if you promise not to email [ALL] "I pwned Alex he is a n00b etc" . That might give you a better overview than me trying to explain all the nuances. I tend to assume anything installed on linux is going to take 5 weeks, you'll have to excuse my bias, linux and I dont get on too well (my lack of knowledge, inclination and a bit of bad luck no doubt). Pricing wise Exchange CALs are £1.25 each last time I checked edu pricing (about a year ago). Do it on a per workstation basis for licensing - works out better in this instance. Exchange was £95 last time I checked.
  2. I've been on the front line of alot of this. I worked for the company that implemented & managed the (massive) 'flagship' PFI school, for which I ended up IT manager. I really dont want to go into details on a public forum, but I wouldnt worry about being taken on as a TUPE employee. This is the kind of thing best discussed over a pint or two. Give me a shout if you ever fancy a chat.
  3. Couple of points Have you tried the 2k3 version? it's pretty complete. Zimbra does look very nice though. with Exchange 2k3 sp2, the limit is 75GB. Still a limit, but it's much more generous. For simplicity, I'd go for exchange. You can have it up and running in under and hour. If you've got time to fiddle zimbra looks cool.
  4. I've seen people use 5 x usb2 external HDD as backup devices quite effectively. personally use a twin drive lto3 24 cassette autoloader, but I have an awful lot more than 20GB to backup. Whatever you're choosing try to think 3-5 years ahead & over spec.
  5. Clear as mud who exactly do these changes affect? Everyone from police officer to council tax office workers?
  6. not tried, but cant you just used message restrictions on the group itself - within AD users and computers? http://www.gunstar.34sp.com/rest.jpg
  7. ok removed and before people shout at me to find out product name pm tony or i am sure cheesedog wont mind people pm with the question... I decided to do it mainly as it is public forum and said software can be cause lot of damage in wrong hands and as we get picked up by google it could cause legal and other issues... Hope dont mind and not often we do this but at times we must... If people have real problem then pm db who make final choice on it. //Russ//
  8. I'd want to know how it worked before it went anywhere close to my network.
  9. It's a logfile analyser?
  10. rdc used to be ok for some stuff, I bought a palette of monitors off them a few years ago.
  11. erm iirc specify the server's IP as a client address set allow this Client address set access to the internet with full access.
  12. In game name? :-)
  13. ASSP, free + very good Preferably stick it on a seperate server. Windows or Linux. http://assp.sourceforge.net/
  14. could you use cachepilot as an upstream proxy in isa? Then you wouldn't have to change all the settings and could retain some control through ISA.
  15. So my Dual Core 3.0ghz 4GB ram 700gb (raid 5 of 4 sata disks) Is a bit overkill? Depends how efficient your intranet site is :-)
  16. I'd go for: Dell PowerEdge 850 P4 / 2.8 1GB Ram 80GB Disk 3yr NBD on site warranty. Should come out at less than £500 Buy a copy of Win2k3 Web Edition - should come out at < £100 from some one like Ramesys, There's not much redundancy in there, but hell - you could buy a hot spare and have change from a grand (probably).
  17. worked ok for me
  18. Would mean cabling between 2 rooms then - for the sake of 5 pc's i'd rather buy the cards. Tried the prefered networks thing - but they still not great. Cisco look nice but at £100+ a card 8O So may just go with some Linksys cards and see how they get on. You'de only 1 short cable for each PC to the switch? Or are some of the PCs in a different room?
  19. reitterate t'others. nsm > *
  20. heh, I dont work in Education & haven't *really* for a couple of years (even back then I worked for for a FM co.) yet here I am whorum foring :-P
  21. Ok, I never noticed you joined! In my defence I dissapeared off skiing in Canada a couple of days after you appeared. I'll remember to say hi
  22. missions I think Stumpy lives just down the corner from me - or at least two of the ex-Kia guys do.
  23. personally..... get another Access point & bridge them, then your PCs can just plug into a switch. I'm reasonably sure the Linksys models do this.
  24. not sure if this would work..... you could add a explicit deny 'traverse folder / execute' permission to the group on files you dont want them executing. I think that should work, deploying the permision should be possible via AD or a script. I always had all the user home drives / my document redirections configured in this way - it stopped them executing batch files, because the only place they could save stuff, they couldn't execute from. If you want to take it a step further you have to prevent them using removal media, because they can just execute stuff from there. Also possible with policies. There's always ways round ofc.
  25. http://www.gunstar.34sp.com/front_e.jpg http://www.gunstar.34sp.com/back-e.jpg
×
×
  • Create New...