Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jonbd

Members
  • Posts

    66
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jonbd

  1. We were having terrible problems with disappearing printers, but seem to have sorted it out here. Not sure if it's exactly the same set of problems, but this is what we did: We deploy printers through print management to GPOs, which are applied to machines. We were getting printers disappearing, but a reboot would get them back for a bit. They would also get a corresponding 0x57 error in the printer service section of event viewer. I rebuilt the PCs but eventually the problem came back. I noticed they took a week or so for the error to reappear though. It timed in perfectly with the delete profile after x number of days GPO we had set on the PCs, so removed that and rebuilt a couple of machines. We use local profiles with redirected folders, and the errors seemed to coincide with when those users first logged in (when printers would work fine) and then had their profiles deleted from the machine after 7 days (when the 0x57 error would appear in Event Viewer and printers would not work until the PC was rebooted). The problem hasn't reappeared on the rebuilt computers, but the ones i've just removed the GPO from without rebuilding continue to have issues. I've now rebuilt 50 or so computers and not had the problem reoccur on them, some of which have now been error free since November looking at the logs. I've only tested this on v1709 though.
  2. Disabling Cortana through Applocker means that search is disabled completely (which is the ideal solution for us) whereas using the Group Policy option disables Cortana but leaves search working. It worked nicely in 1607 so I'll have to think of a workaround now.
  3. Mine is the same after a fresh install. In my case it looks like it's because I have Cortana disabled in applocker, so any users that have it blocked have this problem, but not if they don't. I was almost ready to start deploying Win10 as well, but this will put it on hold until I can sort it out.
  4. We moved across to hosted last week and it was a right old pain but seems to have settled down now. Took weeks and weeks for their sync test to work for us, and when we finally got moved across it stopped working with our cashless catering system (NRS). That seems to be working again after a few days of chaos thankfully. We also had various parts of the application throw up errors for a couple of days, but they got it working eventually. Time will tell if it will be worth it or not, but we had numerous problems with the non hosted version anyway, so we will see.
  5. I've run it manually on some machines to test, and added it to our SCCM OSD task sequence for new builds. I will be deploying it to the rest of the school as a package through SCCM.
  6. WSUS updates to Windows 7 clients stopped working for me in the last few weeks as well. Installing KB3050265 on Windows 7 clients seems to have sorted the problem out here after trying numerous other things
  7. Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Mark for messaging me, and for sorting out our problem so fast (and on a weekend no less!) I can sleep easy knowing that I won't have a load of angry teachers berating me on Monday morning!
  8. Have to say i'm having a terrible time trying to get a response from Exa about a problem that their Surfprotect upgrade seems to have caused, and with the kids due back in on Monday it's going to cause me real grief. Support response seems to have been getting slower and slower for us in recent months, and this latest time is incredibly frustrating
  9. I've had this happen randomly on 2 computers. 1 that I set up last week and did it randomly at some point as I was installing software. That was using Enterprise LTSB iso. Tried all sorts but couldn't fix it so wiped it and started again and it didn't come back. The second one was at home with the Pro version .iso that i've been running since Win 10 was released. Tried loads of stuff again but no luck. Didn't fancy starting from scratch on this one so installed Classic Shell, which works, except for right clicking on icons in the taskbar which does nothing. I will definitely be holding off on rolling Windows 10 out to the school until I can work out whats going on.
  10. We did basically the same thing as Norphy with CC4 but demoted and retired the old CC4 servers. Seems to have worked well here, and we are free of RMs horrific software!
  11. Thanks guys, sounds like this might be worth doing then! My current plan is to set up the two spare hosts as a Hyper-V cluster along with one of the SANs, P2V the VMs over, then set the old hosts and SAN up for Hyper-v, add them into the cluster, and move some stuff back.
  12. Has anyone here moved from a VMware cluster to Hyper-V? We currently run vSphere 5.5 Essentials Plus on 3 hosts and 2 SANs, but have just acquired 2 more hosts which i'd like to use for failover. We can't add them to the Vmware cluster as 3 is the limit of hosts for Essentials Plus, so i've been thinking about maybe migrating to Hyper-V in the summer. I visited another school that a friend manages to see their Hyper-V setup and it seems pretty good, but was hoping there were people out there that have used both and can offer their experiences/suggest things to look out for or any little bits I might miss if I do move. Thanks Jon
  13. Enabled DNS relay in our Layer 3 switch and all seems to be well now! Thanks to everyone for your help, it is very much appreciated!
  14. Back again! Our ISP have put the VLANS on the firewall, and clients can now get IP Addresses through DHCP and I can ping back and forth between them. DNS doesn't seem to be working on the VLANS though. Do i need to do anything other than add the our DNS servers in the DHCP scope settings for each VLAN?
  15. Our external IPs are public so that's good. I've contacted our ISP about adding the details to the firewall, so I will see how that goes and report back. Thanks!
  16. Thanks for the help everyone! The default gateway for the 10.7.148.0/22 network is the firewall, the default gateway in each VLAN DHCP scope is set to the IP interface for that VLAN. We do not have a proxy, unless you mean the transparent proxy that is part of our firewall? So should I be getting our ISP to add static routes to the firewall then?
  17. Default route would be the firewall on 10.7.151.254. I don't have direct access to that so any changes would need to go through our ISP.
  18. Hi all, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on setting up VLANS for the Aerohive wireless network we are currently installing. We seem to be having trouble getting them to work properly We currently have a flat network using 10.7.148.0/22. Our internet conection comes through our firewall on 10.7.151.254. We are looking to add the following VLANS VLAN 10 10.10.100.0/23 Domain Devices VLAN 20 10.20.100.0/24 Guest Access VLAN 30 10.30.100.0/24 BYOD We have created the VLAN trunks for the APs on all the switches back to our layer 3 switch (10.7.148.100 D-LINk DGS-3326GSR), and have created the following IP interfaces for each VLAN on it: VLAN 10 10.10.100.254 VLAN 20 10.20.100.254 VLAN 30 10.30.100.254 We have added IP Helpers for each VLAN pointing to our DHCP server (10.7.148.211), and set up scopes for each of the VLANS on it (setting the gateway to the IP interface of the VLAN). I've set up a port for each VLAN on a switch as untagged to test with a computer but I can't seem to contact the DHCP server to get an address. If I give the computer a static address, I can ping any of the 4 VLAN interfaces on the layer 3 switch but nothing else. Does anyone have any idea what we may be doing wrong or have missed out? The D-Link switch seems to have a language of it's own so any tutorials and documents i've looked at don't correspond to the terminology on the switch. The Layer 3 switch is all fibre apart from 4 ports, and all the switches throughout the school end up back there. Any that are carrying VLAN traffic have been set with Egress enabled on that port for each VLAN. It seems to enable us to communicate across switches on the same VLAN when we set it like that. Should we be using different settings for this instead? Do we need to set up static routing as well to enable the DHCP stuff to get through? As you may have guessed we haven't touched VLANs before so we are having a bit of bother trying to sort it out. Any advice would be gratfeully recieved! EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that our servers all sit on 3 ESXI hosts. I don't know if that makes a difference and we need to set up VLANs in there somewhere or not?
  19. Yeah charges in about 3 hours or so from flat, so the equivalent of the 6.6kw leaf I think? You don't get the option of the slower charger on the Zoe as you do on the Leaf. Rapid charge is limited to 22kw on the version i've got (Dynamique Nav) but the old version with the 44kw maximum charge speed is still available as the Dynamique Rapid charge or something (costs more though). I doubt I will ever charge on anything other than my home charger anyway, so don't need the faster rapid charge.
  20. I went with a PCP in the end as it was considerably cheaper - £250 deposit, £183 a month for 12,000 miles a year, 24 month PCP, with a home charger install included. That was from my local dealer so not the cheapest i'm sure. I will be handing it back at the end and getting another EV, don't think I could go back to a standard car again now! Getting into a toasty preheated and defrosted car and not having to get the de-icer out in these cold conditions never gets old!
  21. I also got a Renault Zoe a couple of months ago and am loving it! Nice and swift from a standstill, cheap as chips to run, and very relaxing to drive. I'm getting about 70ish miles to a charge on country roads in these sub zero temperatures. I only do 52 miles a day so it's perfect for me. I leased a Seat Mii before that for 3 years and handed it back just before the MOT etc was due. Kept it in good nick though so thankfully didn't get any wear and tear charges at the end. If you can find a good deal that fits your circumstances then it can work out favourably.
  22. jonbd

    One Plus X

    I got mine delivered yesterday. Very happy with it so far, although there is a currently a bug in the software that stops SD cards working properly. I have been using an LG G3, but hate their software, (and can't get any custom ROMs to be stable) and from my brief time with the X, it's a much nicer phone to use. Will see how battery life etc goes over the next few days! Also came with a case in the box and a pre-fitted screen protector which is a nice touch.
  23. I've added the "save as" icon to the quick access tool bar thing, and in options>save, i ticked the box that says " Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files". You can also change the default local file location there which also changes the default save location. Makes things a lot simpler for me at least!
  24. We switched to Exa from SWGFL over the summer and it's been much better! Line has been solid as a rock and the support has been very fast and helpful. Not so keen on the NetASQ firewall they use though, but it does the job!
  25. Amazing, just what I was looking for, thanks very much!!
×
×
  • Create New...