Midget
Members-
Posts
1,313 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Midget
-
MHDD is a dos boot program. you need to stick it on a CD or Floppy and boot from it.
-
sounds like PCB failure to me. grab a copy of MHDD to confirm this. Swapping PCBs on a WD is next to impossible. You have to match model, firmware, batch number, swap ROMs and then then it doesn't always work. Getting an identical drive from a DR supplier will also cost you 2x the cost of buying a new drive from eBuyer. Send it off to a DR place for a free eval is my suggestion. Be careful though, I won't name names in public but there are many I would avoid.
-
a peltier cooler would solve that problem.
-
for you in your case. Freezing should be the last option because it will damage drives. Clicking on modern drives is not physical in a lot of cases. You need to learn the difference between the clicks to know if it's physical or not. The main causes of clicking in order of likeliness (is that a word?) Power Fault (are you providing enough power? check your PSU/use a different one) PCB failure which needs to be replaced with an identical one and the ROM chips swapped. Sticktion (heads stick on the platter caused by turning the power off abruptly or using really cheap chinese HDDs *looks at Apple*) Motor Failure - tends to only happen on old ball bearing drives, which haven't been used in years or from dropping the drive. But then what do I know, it's not as if I did it for a living or anything. oh wait.
-
Speaking as an ex data recovery engineer. WILL PEOPLE STOP SPREADING THE MYTH OF FREEZING THE B@574RDING HARD DRIVES! It ONLY works when the motor is seizing in old style ball bearing motors, and the chances of that being the problem are very slim unless its an old drive or you've dropped it. You are only reducing your chance of getting the data back.
-
I want a Win7 mug
-
I agree when spending £10k+ on something like a corsa or fiesta or other shopping trolley, but if you like cars and get a sports car (TVR, 'vette, porka etc) then you will spend >£10k
-
is this spam?
-
if you can stretch the age you can get a 2004 monaro with <20k miles for £10k. How about a 407 coupe? huge depreciation has made them a bargain. RX8s are very thirsty and if not used correctly can be complete money pits (you have to completely warm up the engine before turning it off so no short journeys without a minimum 10min wait at idle before you set off.)
-
Acer ASPIRE 5920 (URGENT - if this is not fixed I'm a dead female tecky
Midget replied to QMSIT1982's topic in Windows Vista
when does it blue screen? -
Arise dead thread. Soapyfish - did you find a solution in the end? I'm attempting to do the same. full backups (mainly databases) from 8 servers.
-
IT weather is difficult to get into without a degree and probably a masters
-
I bought all the books and barely looked at them. A good instructor + netacad is all you need edit: although I may have cheated by doing a ComSc degree beforehand meaning I'd done most of it previously
-
IIRC you can alter the homepage if you alter the ISO
-
Congrats on getting sorted with Regus. Where in the world is the office based now?
-
I've got 3 of my previous jobs through reccomendations, they go alot further than just a piece of paper which will in most cases go straight in the bin
-
The Licence Fee is NOT just for the BBC, but the running of the network that ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 run across and for developing and maintaining the FreeView network
-
buy a TV online and get it delivered to a place with a tv licence?
-
buy a normal TV and just don't plug in an ariel or tune any channels. They have to prove you've been watching live broadcasts not the other way around
-
click on the cert error in the bar, install cert and change the install location to the trusted store. done.
-
I have FreeSat, it's crap and has less channels than FreeView (mainly the channels I actually want to watch like DAVE). When you cancel they'll switch your card over to freesat if you ask. I use tvcatchup which is basically freeview online for all live tv watching these days.
-
What's different in enterprise? Old versions of Enterprise didn't have the dialhome activation feature, is it the same in this case?
-
For people wanting to go from RC to RTM: http://windows7news.com/2009/07/28/upgrading-windows-7-rc-to-rtm/ I'm getting it from MSDN at 1.09MB/s anyone have any idea what "If you retrieved a key for the Windows 7 Beta or RC, a Windows 7 key has been provided for your convenience" means? Can we just reuse the RC key? I don't have time to actually try this on my work box atm.
-
That'll be Aug6th 9am Pacific Daylight Time - which is 5pm.
