MYK-IT Posted February 14, 2012 Posted February 14, 2012 (edited) I am in the process of replacing our 3COM 4900SX with a HP E4800 (JD009A) this week. Although I knew that the Comware versions were different between the 2 units (The E4800 is still badged 3COM) I didn't expect to be spending an age trying to get Link Aggregation working between the 2 units. (I've still got to create additional Link Aggregations from the HP E4800 to 3COM 4200G and HP A5120 switches as well, but one step at a time!) This operation was a breeze previously. I've tried static, manual and dynamic (and dis/abled LACP). It doesn't help when both switches use the same naming terminology but the functionality is totally different! For example: Port > Link Aggregation 3COM 5500G-EI Manual (LACP Disabled) Static (LACP Enabled) (Dynamic is also available by enabling LACP) HP E4800 (JD009A) Static (LACP Disabled) Dynamic (LACP Enabled) After much trawling on forums, I came across this discussion that suggests creating the Link Aggregations on the 3COM 5500G-EI (only) as Manual (LACP Disabled) and no configuration on the HP E4800. I've tried this, and the 3COM 5500G-EI does indeed show all the connections under "select" and appears to work, but this does mean the HP E4800 has not (viewable) configuration confirming this Link Aggregation. I've another 6 Link Aggregations to create, so need to confirm if this is the "recommended" process? Any help would be appreciated. Edited February 14, 2012 by MYK-IT
CyberNerd Posted February 14, 2012 Posted February 14, 2012 Of the top of my head (it was a while back); the difference in comware between the 4800 and 5500 means that you have to configure the aggregation group on the 4800 whereas on the 5500 you could just create the aggregation group then chuck the ports in to it. On 4800's. Create the aggregation group interface Bridge-Aggregation1 description Uplink-To-Core port link-type hybrid port hybrid vlan 20 100 tagged port hybrid vlan 1 untagged link-aggregation mode dynamic add the ports interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 description uplink to core port link-type hybrid port hybrid vlan 20 100 tagged port hybrid vlan 1 untagged broadcast-suppression pps 3000 port link-aggregation group 1 interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2 description uplink to core port link-type hybrid port hybrid vlan 20 100 tagged port hybrid vlan 1 untagged broadcast-suppression pps 3000 port link-aggregation group 1 on 5500's link-aggregation group 1 mode static link-aggregation group 1 description Link-To-cab interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 port link-type hybrid port hybrid vlan 20 100 tagged port hybrid vlan 1 untagged broadcast-suppression pps 3000 description Link-To-cab lacp enable port link-aggregation group 1 apply qos-profile default interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2 port link-type hybrid port hybrid vlan 20 100 tagged port hybrid vlan 1 untagged broadcast-suppression pps 3000 description Link-To-cab lacp enable port link-aggregation group 1 apply qos-profile default if you run 'display link-aggregation verbose' it should show you whether it is running. 2
MYK-IT Posted February 14, 2012 Author Posted February 14, 2012 Hi Cybernerd, Thanks the information etc. I have tried the above (and seems similar to what I haved tried already - and via webgui etc) But not 100% happy with Link Aggregation in general between these 2 boxes! Seems crazy as both technically 3COM, and the clustering between the 2 works fine (partner mac id detecting fine, just not for link aggregation) Think I'll log a call with HP Support. Thanks,
CyberNerd Posted February 14, 2012 Posted February 14, 2012 I have tried the above (and seems similar to what I haved tried already - and via webgui etc) But not 100% happy with Link Aggregation in general between these 2 boxes! It really should work, at least it is working at my place. And comware 5 is pretty good! I would still advise staying away from the gui though! what's the output of 'display link-aggregation verbose' wrt the link? it should report 'ACDEF' if all is ok. I might be able to help some more if you can post configs for both switches. 'display current-configuration' 1
MYK-IT Posted February 14, 2012 Author Posted February 14, 2012 CyberNerd, You are a star, just went through again reconfiguring from scratch (for one more time!) and it works. Thank you so much,
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now