Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

Does anyone know if Netgear 7328S have a command you can use to work out which switch is on the other end of an uplink? The equivalent of "show cdp neighbor" in cisco.

 

cheers

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Actually a couple of Netgear managed switches (and as it seems some Dell PowerConnect too) additionally support a discovery protocol they call ISDP or "industry standard discovery protocol".

I guess this is somehow a pun on Cisco since that's their CDP-compatible discovery protocol - if you're in a mixed Cisco network and already use CDP, you might be interested in this capability.

 

If you want to show all remote devices you can issue 'show lldp remote-device all' (the CLI manual for the switch shows other available commands)

 

As a sidenote: On the couple of Netgear managed and smart switches I've had on my desk I've seen both LLDP and ISDP to be enabled globally and on all ports in both send and receive mode.

This means that you switches blast out some valuable system data like its management IP, model and firmware version on all ports.

 

Without being a networking expert, I wasn't really happy about that default behaviour. I decided to at disable ISDP globally and set all access ports to LLDP receive only.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...