jmak Posted December 12, 2012 Posted December 12, 2012 Hi I've been trying to get my Office 2010 deployment working the way I want it for a couple of weeks now - not continuously, but in between everything else! I'm quite pleased with how far I've got, but I'm not quite there and would really appreciate some help. I have my script working through GPO and the customization works - mostly. When the machines pick up the GPO, Office installs in the background with no user intervention and eventually, the icons appear on the desktop and I can just start using it. However, when a different user logs on they are presented with the Office configuration application. Obviously I don't wnat users to have the opportunity to change my settings and also don't want them to have to decide what to do with it. I have tried just closing it, but it then reappears the next time you log on. Also, if you close it, the shortcuts I have specified are present and you can open the applications. All other settings are present too. So far, I have changed the settings to specify silent install both in the OCT and the config file: I have also created a separate GPO with custom ADM settings to "Suppress Recommended Settings Dialogue" Any ideas what I need to do to prevent this? The only idea I have is that I have applied the policy as a User Configuration. This is because when I had it applied as a Computer Configuration, the GPO was running, but not picking up the script. I have loopback on and the policy is set for all users. Other weird things are that sometimes it installs after user log on, but before making the desktop ready and that sometimes it puts shortcuts in the start menu, but not always. Neither of these are tied to a model of computer or user, and I'm using a separate OU for the policy at the moment, so there can't be any difference between the way policies are applied. However, neither of these would stop me rolling it out. Thanks for all of your time and help.
sted Posted December 12, 2012 Posted December 12, 2012 download the office gpo's and set options up to hide thse first screens iirc its under trust centre 1
Michael Posted December 12, 2012 Posted December 12, 2012 I agree, import the Office ADMX files then start configuring Office just as you would Windows. 1
jmak Posted December 12, 2012 Author Posted December 12, 2012 download the office gpo's and set options up to hide thse first screens iirc its under trust centre Thanks guys. I had already installed the ADMX templates in the GPO but not found the setting I need. As far as I can see, they are all the same options which are in the OCT - presumably the point is that the OCT sets defaults and the GPO can enforce settings. I think I found the setting you refer to: User Config/admin templates/classic admin templates/MS Office 2010/Privacy/ Trust Center/ and then three settings: Disable Opt-in Wizard on first run, Enable Customer Experience Improvement Program, Automatically receive small updates I had set these in the OCT and I think that's working. I think they're to prevent users seeing this (which they don't) : What I am seeing is this: Forgive me if I've mis-interpretted, but I can't see anything else like your suggestions. I know I'm missing something really simple..........
jmak Posted December 13, 2012 Author Posted December 13, 2012 Curiousor and curiousor.............. When Office first installs, you don't get any messages or queries for the user and then if you re-boot with that user, everything works as I want it to. When the next user logs in, they get the Configure Office dialogue (before starting Office), which has to be completed, otherwise it pops up every time you re-start. However, it doesn't appear for subsequent users. Incomplete testing on my part - should have found this before I raised the query on here - apologies. It's still not how I want it, but as it's a one off, not for every new user, I'm just going to deploy. I'd still welcome any ideas on what's causing it though.
jmak Posted December 19, 2012 Author Posted December 19, 2012 Cracked it. Just posting in case anyone comes across the thread in the future and has been as dim as me............ I'd put the computers I was deploying Office to in a group and just applied the GPO to that group. If you re-boot while the computers are still in that group when the GPO is applied, it tries to install Office again. If you unlink the GPO or move the machines to a different group which doesn't have the GPO linke, it works exactly as it's supposed to....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now