jwheelhouse Posted July 3, 2007 Posted July 3, 2007 Hi All, I've been reading through the forum and a few of the queries I've had have now disappeared but I wonder if others can help with a Query about MultiMedia... We're looking into converting two rooms to thin clients (49 clients) using a Citrix solution that we have seen working well in local schools similar to us. This year we are also moving to Media Services, streaming media video in WMV format over the network. I know Thin Client copes with Multimedia in an acceptable way in software apps (such as Birchfield Software) and playing whole video files but I have been unable to see if it works well with streaming media (such as the BBC News 24 Live Stream) as this is similar to the streams our server will provide. If it does not perform as expected the other option we are considering is using XP Embeded Clients such as the HP t5720 as it can have Windows Media Player installed and streaming that way. Anybody had any experiences with this or suggestions? Thanks Justin -- Justin Wheelhouse, Systems Manager Holy Trinity School
Geoff Posted July 3, 2007 Posted July 3, 2007 Just had a go on our Terminal server. Peaked at 5% load watching BBC News 24 Live over the 224kbit stream. System is a Dual Opteron with 3Gb running Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 Platinum.
Ric_ Posted July 3, 2007 Posted July 3, 2007 Agree with Geoff... streamined media can be handled fine... obviously don get too carried away with the number of concurrent clients though. SpeedScreen in Cit4rix helps with this sort of thing too IIRC (it definately helps with Flash video).
jwheelhouse Posted July 3, 2007 Author Posted July 3, 2007 Thanks for the replies. Can I ask what Clients thats on? My main reason for asking is that if we can avoid the XPe machines I think we will as its quite a difference in price compared to the linux clients! Justin
Ric_ Posted July 3, 2007 Posted July 3, 2007 I use HP Linux-based thin client devices - I've phased out my Thinstation ones now so that I can take full advantage of the lower TCO
Geoff Posted July 3, 2007 Posted July 3, 2007 I know, this is just my junky test machine I have here.
jwheelhouse Posted July 3, 2007 Author Posted July 3, 2007 Thanks Guys, Just looking at the server spec now and we're looking at 2 of the followin: HP DL-140 G3 Dual Quad Core Xeon E5335 2 GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x GB Lan and 2 x 76GB SAS 15,000RPM Drives (Mirrored) Does this sound ok for 25 clients per server? Also is there a software cost in addition to the CALs? Cheers Justin
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now