Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, so I seem to be hitting a number of issues which I can only assume are more network based than anything else due to the fact I've eliminated pretty much every other aspect of the situation.

 

Now, the cabling in the school is getting a little dated, and I think was probably put in by some mob handed monkeys rather than people with a decent amount of knowledge on networks (there are some tight turns in this place and what not) so I'm looking to find the best way to verify the various network points through the school and see which could do with replacing and which are ok, etc. So, it would seem I need to invest in either a dedicated cable verifier / tester or some software that will do the same from my laptop (Apple Mac, but I do have Windows Bootcamp which also runs through parallels so it's not too bad).

 

Any suggestions are more than welcome, though the cheaper the better as whilst I like spending my money on new gadgets, I also like to spend it on things like food and bills to make sure there's still a roof over our heads! lol.. (despite the fact I have a number of people who think I live in the internet itself).

 

Thanks

Andy :)

Posted
We got a cheap Test-Um kit and it's revolutionised the way we test things. Found and fixed so many problems as a result, and it was bought on eBay sillycheap. (bought for £80 including all the addons, worth £400-500 new)
Posted

We have one of these: NT750 Network Testing Kit and it was money well spent. Caveat is that while it's a very good kit for certain problems, it'll miss things that the NT950 will pick up. IIRC our kit was circa £400.

 

What would it cost you for a decent cabling firm to come in and Fluke the whole lot?

Posted
+1 for the Validator - much cheaper than the equivalent Fluke. You don't need the pro though (it basically does ping and traceroute over the standard one and I'm sure you have a laptop that can do that).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...