Gerry Posted June 25, 2007 Posted June 25, 2007 Hi all, We've got a location that is currently connected to the main network via a 64k fax line (!!!) using 2 Zyxel DSL modems. We'd like to improve the link, but laying down fibre is too costly so we've been thinking about line-of-sight wireless solutions. Has anyone here had any experience with this kind of situation? If so, what would you recommend/suggest?
Geoff Posted June 25, 2007 Posted June 25, 2007 We have WiFi links here to a couple of portacabins. They are becoming increasingly unreliable as everyone and his dog in the nearby housing estates get broadband internet and WiFi routers. It's going to get to the point where WiFi is nigh unusable due to interference. You might want to wander about with a WiFi enable laptop and Netstumbler and see if your going to have similar problems.
Gerry Posted June 25, 2007 Author Posted June 25, 2007 No chance of that happening at our site - it's in the middle of the countryside! We have some portacabins too, and would like to link them, possibly also acting as a node to the location on the end of the fax line.
djm968 Posted June 25, 2007 Posted June 25, 2007 One of my clients has a wireless DLS link between two sites and it seems to work quite well for them. I was initially worried that latency across the link may impact replication across the dc’s (the remote site has a separate domain and DC) but this is not the case. I agree with Geoff, it would be worth doing a wireless survey prior to investing any money though and I would try to keep internet traffic separate if possible.
Gerry Posted June 26, 2007 Author Posted June 26, 2007 What would a survey involve? Are we talking about getting a consultant involved or is it something we could do ourselves?
Geoff Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 As I said, just wandering about with a wireless laptop that has a copy of net stumbler is good enough. If however as a result of this, you find a non-Wifi source of interference I suggest you contract a qualified radio engineer to triangulate it and track it down.
djm968 Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 Net stumbler and laptop is all I use and I have no problem being honest about it, you wouldn't believe the amount of “wireless experts†and “consultants†that try to pass the same kit off as something magical that a mere mortal would never comprehend.
Gerry Posted June 26, 2007 Author Posted June 26, 2007 Thanks everyone for advice. I'll definitely have a go with NetStumbler sometime though I don't think we'll have any problems with interference. Anyone have any advice on line-of-sight solutions? Such as which equipment to use? Distance will be roughly 200-400m between nodes.
plexer Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 If you want something to visually show you the 2.4ghz rf spectrum then consider investing in a wi-spy. Ben
craiglay Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 I have a school with some cheapy Buffalo WAP's (WLA-g54's and WBR-G54's) and some external antenna that link portacabins through WDS. Currently, its working quite well as we get about the same bandwidth of a 54Meg wireless connection (~3Megabyte/s @ 20m) If your feeling creative, you could use a similar setup and a homemade dish with an external aerial to direct the signal line of site (or you could buy a directional one) Google "wifi dish" if you want to home make Craig
eean Posted June 26, 2007 Posted June 26, 2007 I saw someone on here chatting about Laser solutions. http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3335&highlight=laser+link
Gerry Posted June 27, 2007 Author Posted June 27, 2007 Thanks for the suggestions guys. Good to know about different ways it can be done. Laser solution sounds interesting, but probably too expensive! Anyone have any experience with 5GHz wi-fi?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now