Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The test install of CentOS 6.3 server with X Window and Gnome desktop and webmin was killed by me trying to un-install some of the unwanted packages :(

 

So I have re-installed from the base install iso disk and like last time it does not set up the network connection (I had to use the repair function of the live CD! ).

 

Can someone tell me the steps to set it up via CLI please, all I have installed now is the base system and I can log into Root with my password and then I get a flashing cursor # _

Edited by tickmike
Posted

is your server being assigned an address via DHCP reservation? or do you need to manually assign it an address?

 

If your getting a DHCP address, try the two commands below:

 

ifconfig eth0 up

dhclient

 

running ifconfig on its own will give you details of the all interfaces.

 

for more information on manually assigning details to your network adapter, have a read of:

 

man ifconfig

Posted

by default the network doesn't start on boot.

 

run cli.

su to root (type su)

edit the file. with vi/vim/nano/gedit

 

eg

 

su
nano /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 

Posted

Thank you, the only one I could get working was 'vi' (I had to google vi to see how to exit and save !).

What I had to do was to cd to the 'network-scripts' directory and use the vi editor to do the changes.

I'm just installing 'X Window System' and then 'Webmin'.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...