penfold Posted July 27, 2012 Posted July 27, 2012 I have recently started to move over the way we install our printers and set staff to have printers installed via GPP set by membership which seems to work on our desktop machines. Unfortunately if you log on remotely the logon sits on the Applying group policy printers policy. We obvisouly have a clash with our Group policy set on the Terminal Servers which is causing this but as the Printers sit in their own GPO I thought I should be able to exclude the servers from applying these settings as they do not need the printers mapping on this server anyway. I have added the terminal servers to the delegation section of the printers GPO and set the permissions to deny access. Problem is that they still seem to be trying to apply the Printers Policy. As it is just sitting there trying to complete a connection if you close the session down you then get an error saying you are unable to logon while the server is completing a logon/logoff connection. Eventually you can get back on but it can take hours or a reboot of the server. I could do this through Item Level Targetting but I did not want to have to add the servers OU to each printer being mapped, but thought I could do this once to the Group Policy using the method above. We cant block inheritance on the Terminal Server OU as it picks up some settings from other domain policies. Any ideas of how I can do this?
TheScarfedOne Posted August 9, 2012 Posted August 9, 2012 Late catch on this issue, so not sure if you've fixed it. Posts about this be on my blog. Look out for the apply in user context option on the options tab on the GPP for each printer. Tick it, it speeds it up.... A lot. 1
twin--turbo Posted August 10, 2012 Posted August 10, 2012 One thing we found using XEN App ( Citrix on Terminal Services ) was that logins hung with printers for normal users but not for AD Admins. The route of this problem was that on user logon the printer driver was attempting to make changes on the machine for the local user and popped up a dialoug box, however the user could never see the dialoug box. The answer IIRC in this instance was to re-install the printer as LOCAL admin on the server. My memory is a bit vuage on this one mind.. Rob 1
penfold Posted August 10, 2012 Author Posted August 10, 2012 Thanks guys, be we ended up putting a filter on the GPO so it doesn't apply to our Terminal Servers. Might not be the best way but it works
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now