dgsmith Posted July 18, 2012 Posted July 18, 2012 Just acquired a 2nd hand computer of reasonable spec, however it seems not only does it take an age to actually get the BIOS to load up, but once in, browsing between the menus and menu items has about a 5 second delay (so to move over 3 menus to say power management takes about 15-20 seconds). I've taken the battery out and replaced to reset settings then went back in and "eventually" managed to restore defaults but no difference! I've seen this kind of thing before where there may be a 1-2 second delay but nothing like this! At one point the BIOS actually froze on me and wouldn't respond to any input! The CPU temperature is also fine (when I eventually managed to get to the temp monitoring area) and the RAM has been changed but it's made no difference! Need some ideas! It's also showing "CMOS checksum bad" but I don't know if that is because of this problem or vice-versa (or just a separate issue).
twin--turbo Posted July 18, 2012 Posted July 18, 2012 checksum bad means it's lost all the settings probably due to the battery going flat. is there a Load Optimal option? Rob
dgsmith Posted July 18, 2012 Author Posted July 18, 2012 I'll try changing the battery tomorrow, though it was retaining the time/date ok. When I said I restored defaults, I meant load optimal settings too as I tried every "reset" option but to no avail. I've never known a BIOS to be so delayed when cycling through it.. it really is bad!
twin--turbo Posted July 18, 2012 Posted July 18, 2012 May be a buggy bios, may be able to flash with a new one. Or try a PS/2 Keyboard rather than USB. Rob
dgsmith Posted July 20, 2012 Author Posted July 20, 2012 Using a PS/2 keyboard doesn't help. BIOS seems to be the latest I can find, from 2009 (unless someone can easily find BIOS updates for a Pegatrom IPMEL-PRC!) - aka the RM Ascend 2050 ..and it seems even when in the BIOS, the clock only updates every 35 seconds. Something definately wrong. I also changed the batery for a known working one but no difference and still get the checksum error.
chazzy2501 Posted July 20, 2012 Posted July 20, 2012 Try the usual, unplug everything not needed (include only 1 memstick) reseat CPU & RAM, also try diff ram different slot. I bios stop being laggy start adding devices 1 by 1. if bios is still laggy try a firmware upgrade (or downgrade) still laggy chuck the board. Check the BIOS jumper is in the correct position if it has one. Tiny chance that removing the mainboard will show that it's been installed incorrectly. I've seen it before where the board has been installed without risers or to few risers and twisted the board or allowed it to touch the case. Last try try the board outside the case.
twin--turbo Posted July 20, 2012 Posted July 20, 2012 Try actualy changing the memory. if there's 2 sticks try just one. Rob
SYNACK Posted July 20, 2012 Posted July 20, 2012 You can try reflashing it with the existing BIOS from the web if you are not massively concerend about it, you can probably force it to wipe the DMI information too which may fix a corrupt BIOS or brick it completely.
OB1 Posted July 24, 2012 Posted July 24, 2012 Disconnect everything bar CPU & Ram (and graphics card if there's no video output on the motherboard). If that couple with a new/replaced bios makes no difference not you may have a knackered Mobo. If your motherboard has a removable EEPROM chip, a small expenditure may get you a new one, no guarantee of that fixing it though. What are the specs?
DMcCoy Posted July 24, 2012 Posted July 24, 2012 From previous experience with similar issues (except the monitor section which is often slow) then I'd suggest that the board is about to expire shortly.
ricki Posted July 25, 2012 Posted July 25, 2012 Hi The thing that I find makes the bios go slow the most is a dying hard drive. Try disconnecting the drives and see if it speeds up. Richard
dgsmith Posted July 25, 2012 Author Posted July 25, 2012 Thanks for all the suggestions - i'm not in work until next week though I at least have a few ideas now to try when I get back!
dgsmith Posted August 7, 2012 Author Posted August 7, 2012 - Flashed the BIOS, which took about 3hrs from start to finish but no change - Changing RAM hasn't helped - HDD disconnected or connected makes no difference - Different battery from known working board and new battery makes no difference Point of note is that it doesn't just seem slow in the BIOS, but it takes about 2mins to get to the POST screen from turning on, and when given options like F1 to setup etc, takes about 10-20secs to recognise that. Still getting the "CMOS checksum bad" which google suggests is nearly always battery, but I have eliminated that from suspicion! Board also is mounted on inbuilt case risers or at least I can't see any concerns with how it's been installed.
dgsmith Posted August 7, 2012 Author Posted August 7, 2012 Well, I have solved the problem(!) It was.. Front USB connectors! Or rather, unplugging them from the board now doesn't show the errors on post, boots the machine fine and the BIOS is exactly as it should be! I think maybe there is an electrical problem perhaps on the front connections! Unbelievable!
chazzy2501 Posted August 7, 2012 Posted August 7, 2012 ha! I've seen similar before, where the front usb ports were damaged and the pins short out. I once found the leftovers of a thumb drive inside a usb connector. I found a PC in the street once it still had a vista OEM sticker on the side so I took it home, it wouldn't even turn on but I soon discovered a bust usb port and it was fine. (made £80 ebay)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now