Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

I am in need of a little help, I am currently re-installing a network with all new equipment and need some guidance in configuring mutliple VLANs on a switched network. I will be utilizing 4 Cisco 2960 Switches(user switches), a Cisco 3750-X Switch(Core switch), and Cisco 2921 router as the backbone devices. I already configured them with the basic information in order to test them out for connectivity, however I am still unsuccessful/unsure in properly configuring them utilizing seperate/multiple VLAN's between all the devices. I want to use the 10.17.0.0 network information, utilizing NAT of course and then use 10.17.1.0 network on one switch utilizing VLANs, x.x.2.0 on another, x.x.3.0, x.x.4.0 ect. networks, on the other switches. Can anyone assist me in the right direction? Here is the example of basic configs (minus sensitive information) that I installed for testing purposes and everything is working fine, however now I want to seperate the devices, and put them on their own networks, and then eventually segment the switches on seperate sub-vlans. I will also attach a basic diagram as a reference of the equipment. Thanks for the help.

 

Router:

 

version 15.1

no service pad

service tcp-keepalives-in

service tcp-keepalives-out

service timestamps debug datetime

service timestamps log datetime

service password-encryption

service sequence-numbers

no service dhcp

!

hostname rtr

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

!

security passwords min-length 10

logging buffered critical

logging rate-limit 10

!

aaa new-model

!

!

aaa authentication login default local-case

aaa authorization console

aaa authorization exec default if-authenticated

!

!

!

!

!

aaa session-id common

clock timezone **omitted**

clock calendar-valid

!

no ipv6 cef

ip source-route

no ip gratuitous-arps

ip cef

!

!

!

!

!

no ip bootp server

no ip domain lookup

ip domain name **omitted**

multilink bundle-name authenticated

!

!

password encryption aes

crypto pki token default removal timeout 0

!

crypto pki trustpoint **omitted**

!

!

crypto pki certificate chain **omitted**

!

!

username **omitted**

username **omitted**

username **omitted**

!

!

ip ssh version 2

!

!

!

!

interface Embedded-Service-Engine0/0

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description THE NEW ISP INFO LIVE! $OUTSIDE$

no ip address

ip flow egress

ip nat outside

no ip virtual-reassembly in

ip virtual-reassembly out max-reassemblies 128

duplex auto

speed auto

no cdp enable

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Link to CoreSW

ip address 10.17.1.1 255.255.0.0

ip flow ingress

ip nat inside

ip virtual-reassembly in max-reassemblies 128

duplex full

speed auto

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

description **NOT USED**

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

!

ip forward-protocol nd

!

no ip http server

ip http access-class 23

ip http authentication local

no ip http secure-server

ip http timeout-policy idle 60 life 86400 requests 10000

ip flow-export destination 10.17.3.250 2055

!

ip nat inside source list 117 interface GigabitEthernet0/1 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.17.0.0 name **omitted**

!

ip access-list extended netbios

deny tcp any any eq 135

deny udp any any eq 135

deny tcp any any eq 136

deny udp any any eq 136

deny tcp any any eq 137

deny udp any any eq netbios-ns

deny tcp any any eq 139

deny udp any any eq netbios-ss

deny tcp any any eq 445

deny udp any any eq 445

deny tcp any any eq 138

deny udp any any eq netbios-dgm

permit ip any any

!

logging trap warnings

logging 10.17.3.250

access-list 100 permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

access-list 100 remark **omitted** Category=128

access-list 100 permit ip host 255.255.255.255 any

access-list 100 permit ip 127.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

access-list 117 permit ip any any

!

!

snmp-server community **omitted**

snmp-server enable traps tty

!

!

!

control-plane

!

!

banner login ^C

LOG OFF IMMEDIATELY IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE CONDITIONS STATED IN THIS WARNING

^C

banner motd ^C

NOTICE TO USERS

 

THIS IS A PRIVATE COMPUTER SYSTEM. It is for authorized use only.

Users (authorized or unauthorized) have no explicit or implicit

expectation of privacy.

 

Any or all uses of this system and all files on this system may

be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected,

and disclosed to authorized site and law enforcement personnel,

as well as authorized officials of other agencies, both domestic

and foreign. By using this system, the user consents to such

interception, monitoring, recording, copying, auditing, inspection,

and disclosure at the discretion of authorized site personnel.

 

Unauthorized or improper use of this system may result in

administrative disciplinary action and civil and criminal penalties.

By continuing to use this system you indicate your awareness of and

consent to these terms and conditions of use.

^C

!

line con 0

exec-timeout 5 0

line aux 0

no exec

line 2

no activation-character

no exec

transport preferred none

transport input all

transport output pad telnet rlogin lapb-ta mop udptn v120 ssh

stopbits 1

line vty 0 4

access-class **omitted** in

privilege level 15

transport input ssh

line vty 5 15

access-class **omitted** in

privilege level 15

transport input ssh

!

scheduler max-task-time 5000

scheduler allocate 20000 1000

ntp server 196.43.1.9

end

 

Core switch:

 

version 12.2

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname **omitted**

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

enable secret 5 **omitted**

enable password **omitted**

!

username **omitted**

username **omitted**

username **Omitted**

no aaa new-model

clock timezone **omitted**

switch 1 provision ws-c3750x-24s

system mtu routing 1500

no ip sticky-arp

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.17.3.250

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.17.2.249 10.17.2.255

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.17.0.1

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.17.1.0 10.17.1.15

!

ip dhcp pool 1

network 10.17.0.0 255.255.0.0

default-router 10.17.1.1

dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

!

ip dhcp pool jv1

host 10.17.2.250 255.255.0.0

dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

!

ip dhcp pool jv2

host 10.17.2.249 255.255.0.0

dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

!

ip dhcp pool console

host 10.17.3.250 255.255.0.0

dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

!

ip dhcp pool user_bad_wifi_card

host 10.17.3.80 255.255.0.0

!

ip dhcp pool Slim

host 10.17.3.50 255.255.0.0

dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

!

!

ip domain-name **omitted**

!

!

crypto pki trustpoint **omitted**

!

!

crypto pki certificate chain **omitted**

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

!

!

!

!

vlan internal allocation policy ascending

!

ip ssh version 2

!

!

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

description Link to Router

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2

description Link to For

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3

description Link to Class1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/4

description Link to ELibrary

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/5

description Link to Class2

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/6

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/7

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/8

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/9

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/11

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/15

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/17

description **NOT USED**

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/18

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/20

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/21

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/22

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24

description **NOT USED*

switchport mode access

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/1

description **NOT USED*

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/2

description **NOT USED*

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/3

description **NOT USED*

shutdown

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/4

description **NOT USED*

shutdown

!

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1

!

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/2

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 10.17.1.2 255.255.0.0

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

!

ip http server

ip http secure-server

!

!

logging esm config

logging trap warnings

logging 10.17.3.250

access-list 1 permit 10.17.1.1

access-list 1 permit 10.17.1.2

access-list 1 permit 10.17.1.3

access-list 1 permit 10.17.1.4

access-list 1 permit 10.17.1.5

access-list 1 permit 10.17.1.6

access-list 1 permit 10.17.2.249

access-list 1 permit 10.17.2.251

access-list 1 permit 10.17.3.250

access-list 1 permit 10.17.2.250

snmp-server community **omitted**

snmp-server enable traps tty

!

!

line con 0

login local

line vty 0 4

access-class 1 in

password **omitted**

login local

line vty 5 15

access-class 1 in

password **omitted**

login local

!

end

Diagram(Helper).bmp

Posted

Have you set up VTP in server mode on the 3750 and the other switches as VTP clients?

 

You also need to add vlans and vlan interfaces with IP's in order to get the Inter vlan routing working.

 

You should also set up RSTP and make the 3750 the default bridge.

 

 

Rob

Posted
twin--turbo...sorry about that I should have gave you the other configs with the other VLANs on the swithces that I tried. I was not successful in getting the other networks (VLAN 10, 20, 30, 40, 50) with 10.17.1.0, 10.17.2.0, 10.17.3.0..... to talk to eachother. I am reading up on the VTP, server, clients now. Was that my issue? Also what is RSTP? I am not that new to networking, just as technology evolves and I get busy with other work, it seems to move faster than my time and knowledge can keep up, thus the reason why I ask for help. Thanks for the help.
Posted

Have you set up the VLANS or VLAN interfaces yet on the devices? VTP will do the Vlans in one go from the core.

 

Do youi NEED dhcp to be done by the CISCO gear, is there an AD server that could do it instead?

 

RSTP is Rapid Spanning Tree, allows for network loops to be Managed should they be needed or occur by accident (or maliciously )

 

I am guessing the majority of the configs have been generated automaticaly.

 

Rob

Posted (edited)

This is all fairly ancient stuff BTW..

 

Who's the ISP and what equipment are they providing, A 2921 aint a cheap bit of kit.. The APC 2200's on the core and 2921 are overkill too.

 

Rob

Edited by twin--turbo
Posted (edited)

Where do you want your internal network routing to happen on the 2921, or on the 3750

 

if the latter..

Get VTP on and confirm that the clients update their Vlandatabases.

Set up Vlan Interfaces on the core with an IP address.

Assign switchport access vlans to ports on the switches.

Change G0/1 to a access port, remove the IP address and assign it to vlan1

set up default route on the 3750 as the 2921, and set static routes on the 2921 for the internal networks.

 

 

IS the Internet link really an E1???????

 

 

Rob

Edited by twin--turbo
Posted
Yes I have I tired to set up the VLAN's, but I could not get them to talk to eachother, I will send you the configs that I tried. Also I am going to (wanting to) run the DHCP Services by the Core Switch, I DO NOT have a DHCP Server at this time. I figured that until the funding comes in that the Core switch could handle the servcies.
Posted

1st get VTP working, settign the 3750 as the server and the 2960's as the clients. You will need to specify a domain and a password.

 

Then create the vlans ( do "sh vlans" in enable mode to confirm)

 

 

client siwtches should update automaticaly.

 

Set a trunk port from core to trunk port on each edge.

 

on core create vlan interfaces.

 

conf t>interface vlan 10

conf t>Description our vlan 10

conf t>ip address 172.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

 

Rob

Posted
Where do you want your internal network routing to happen on the 2921, or on the 3750

 

if the latter..

Get VTP on and confirm that the clients update their Vlandatabases.

Set up Vlan Interfaces on the core with an IP address.

Assign switchport access vlans to ports on the switches.

Change G0/1 to a access port, remove the IP address and assign it to vlan1

set up default route on the 3750 as the 2921, and set static routes on the 2921 for the internal networks.

 

 

IS the Internet link really an E1???????

 

 

Rob

 

I want the "internal networking" to happen from the Core switch and just the routing functions to happen from the 2921 router for now (until I expand the Network). Yes I have a dedicated Fiber Line already terminated to my building, from the ISP. I know that it might seem a little overkill, however I am looking into the futre and want to expand the network soon.

Posted
This is all fairly ancient stuff BTW..

 

Who's the ISP and what equipment are they providing, A 2921 aint a cheap bit of kit.. The APC 2200's on the core and 2921 are overkill too.

 

Rob

 

The ISP is very...let's just say not very informative, however they give me enough infformation to set up the external (WAN) link. As far as the equipment, all I get from them is the modem, the external link (fiber...as an agreement) and the fiber converter to my switch (which should be insiginficant in this matter for now). As far as the rest of the equipment, I flipped the bill for this and I know it might seem a little overkill, however, I want to make sure that the network, equipment, and services are running without any problems.

Posted
I want the "internal networking" to happen from the Core switch and just the routing functions to happen from the 2921 router for now (until I expand the Network). Yes I have a dedicated Fiber Line already terminated to my building, from the ISP. I know that it might seem a little overkill, however I am looking into the futre and want to expand the network soon.

 

 

You need layer 3 routing somewhere for your vlans to talk. Either the 3750 must do the routing or the 2921 must do the vlan routing.

 

Rob

Posted
You need layer 3 routing somewhere for your vlans to talk. Either the 3750 must do the routing or the 2921 must do the vlan routing.

 

Rob

 

Thanks... It is a judgment call that I had to make, however seeing that the the network is going to be set up they way that it is (according to the diagram), I figured that I would just make the "core" switch 3750 do the basic DHCP services for the rest of the switches, and the 2921 Router to as it was functioned to do and be the VLAN routing. That is the problem that I am running into, with having two simultaneous devices that can almost basically do the same Layer 3 services. Also which one gets the configurations? What do you suggest?

Posted (edited)

Do the L3 on the 3750. Otherwise your running the 2921 as a Router on a stick and just shoveling data up adn down a pipe for no reason.

 

Rob

Edited by twin--turbo
Posted
I tried that and for some reason I think I was doing something wrong, I coould not ping through all the networks. I am sorry, I am still learning the multiple VLANs, across multiple devices concept (or I missed something), I will redo the configs, hopefully it will work. Thanks for all your advice twin--turbo.
Posted
Get VTP working

Get vlan interfaces on core.

Set trunks up

 

That's the basics done..

 

Rob

 

Thamls...will let you know

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...