Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

 

Odd problem with a file not displaying to a particular user. No error messages are displayed but the webpart where she should see the contents of the file is blank. The rest of the page displays correctly. The address bar shows that she has navigated to the correct page.

 

For everybody else the file displays correctly. The link is to an aspx page with a pointer to a Word Doc in the Siteparts folder. I tried changing her original file for my own visio version of it but no dice.

 

All staff on site should be able to view this page by default. She is also a member of an AD group with Contribute rights to the siteparts folder in question. I have checked that she is in the group and that the group has contribute rights on the Siteparts folder.

 

The problem occurs if she moves computers or uses Firefox, or Chrome.

 

I'm left thinking this must be rooted somewhere in Sharepoint itself...

 

any help would be very much appreciated as the user is the person who created the Org Chart in the first place!

 

Zoatibix

Posted
If you make a copy of the file in the folder using your account and give it a different name, what happens when this user tries to open this file?
Posted

The pdf version I created with the file does the same thing. So, different file, different name, and different file type.

 

This made me wonder if she had closed the webpart in question. I've replicated this with another account and get the same output!

 

 

A quick Google suggests re-adding the closed webpart from the advanced gallery options but I don't seem to be able to do this under my test account. (Irritatingly I can actually see the page displaying as a webpart on the page!)

 

Grrr!

 

Thank you for your replies, btw.

Posted

Okay...I did wonder if it was a local machine issue, hence my asking her to try on a different PC.

 

I've just rebuilt the link completely (killed the link, made a new aspx link with a different name) Still no joy. The particularly odd thing is that she can click the links to the other documents inside that siteparts folder. They display correctly.

Posted

our user who had a problem only had one document causing an issue. She was the creator of the document; it was then updated by her and others. Later on her PC, it displayed an older version of the document than was reallly there. We tried a couple of things and ended up renaming her local profile folder to break the local cached link to the version on Sharepoint and after that it worked OK.

 

If you login on her PC does the document open OK?

 

If your user logins on another PC does it display OK?

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Sorry for the delay in replying.

 

The case you descirbe sounds odd.

 

Logging into my machine as her the webpart doesn't show up at all.

 

Logging into her machine as me I can see the webpart just fine.

 

Recreating her profile and logging into her machine still doesn't show the webpart.

 

I gave her full admin on the site. The webpart doesn't show up (even the seperate webpart editing drop down isn't there). However, by chosing to edit the page I can see the webpart in all its glory. I closed the editing tool - the webpart continued to display but when I clicked on the navigation link that points to the webpart...it all vanishes again.

Posted

Update.

 

I killed the link and the aspx page. I took the space out of the title of the PDF that it was pointing to.

 

I then copied a different aspx page (previously I'd used a blank template), renamed and ammended it as necessary and then made a new link.

 

And now it all works

 

Presumably some kind of issue with the aspx link page...

 

anyway, thank you very much for you reply.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...