cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 My CCTV system here will ONLY work in IE in comparability mode.... So currently I have a windows 7 PC running the big screen with the Cameras web client open monitoring the cameras. However, I wanted to put Linux on this machine but I cant figure out how to get the cams to work in another browser, I've booted up a live cd and tried Firefox but the cameras dont display - not even the login page displays and the same thing happens in Firefox on Windows and the same thing happens in Chrome. Any Ideas ? Thanks
SYNACK Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Better than a web interface can you grab the feed directly with VLC. It will open mjpeg and other streams provided with the right URL. What is the brand and model of the cammera, someone may have already done it so you won't have to pull apart their webpage or wireshark it to find the stream. Not all of them do it but they most do. 1
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 Its made by QVis and thats all I know... I might try WINE never thought of that! Thanks
twin--turbo Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 You could try Virtualbox with an XP-SP3 virtual machine. See if that does the job. Rob
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 I could but I don't have any XP licenses! You could try Virtualbox with an XP-SP3 virtual machine. See if that does the job. Rob
X-13 Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Do you know WHY it only works with IE? [or is that what you're trying to find out?]
DMcCoy Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Do you know WHY it only works with IE? [or is that what you're trying to find out?] Based on some of the ones I've used in the past, probably an activex plugin.
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 yeah i think its active X - I'm presuming anyway.....
X-13 Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 yeah i think its active X - I'm presuming anyway..... Ah, then your options are pretty limited. If Win7 is working fine, why not just leave it?
twin--turbo Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 I could but I don't have any XP licenses! Which in turn means you don't have an IE licence either Rob
X-13 Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Which in turn means you don't have an IE licence either So, Windows 7 isn't licenced for IE?
twin--turbo Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 well virtual box will run 7 too if he has a 7 licence , or vista.. Just XP is a little less heavy on the VM. Rob
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 I am trying to free up a windows license or 2 this is why I am trying Linux... I dont have many licenses I only have 10 for 7 pro.
twin--turbo Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Any old 98 licences kicking about??? (although getting media is a pain)
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 nah got no old boxes around here - ill figure something i just wish IE would work on ubuntu. Currently trying playonlinux....
SYNACK Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 This is why I suggested VLC as it bypasses the dirty browser plugins all together and just reads the media stream directly. It is usually more reliable and uses less bandwidth. Once you know where to connect it to you can open the streams in individual windows even from a command line as VLC will take connection parrameters from there.
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 tried VLC it didnt do anything!! Great idea though!
SYNACK Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 tried VLC it didnt do anything!! Great idea though! Where did you point it to? you need to point it to the output stream itself. Some cammeras offer this as a file like http://webcam/video/video.cgi or http://webcam/output.mjpeg To find out where you would look in the web page source to see if it specifies it anywhere and if not put wireshark on the machine and look at what files/url the page plugin is accessing. You can then use the open media network option to enter this url and just grab the stream. Here is a good page: Streaming IP camera in VLC player (the easy way) - Austech that brand is not included but it gives you some to try and some idea as to what to look for with wireshark.
twin--turbo Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Are teh CAMS IP cams connected to a DVR or Coax Cams Connected to a DVR.. If it's the former, you could look ast using ZoneMinder as the DVR.
SYNACK Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 This also has lots of information and automation advice for VLC: Dahua RTSP Stream - BahamasSecurity.com - CCTV, Software, VB6, VBScripts Come to think of it are they IP cameras or standard units on an IP enabled DVR. Either way you should still be able to grab the streams. If it is a DVR the make and model may make a search easier for anyone who has done it before.
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 they are IP cams i tried Zoneminder but it didnt pick the cams up - We use a DVR. The DVR is for example at IP: 10.1.1.30 so I pointed VLC at that IP - this is also what Wireshark shows me when IM connected to the DVR looking at the cams on screen. Damn thing lol!
Geoff Posted June 21, 2012 Posted June 21, 2012 Using IE implicitly consumes a license as it's part of the OS. Are you sure the cameras can't work with Zoneminder? It can cope with most things.
cpjitservices Posted June 21, 2012 Author Posted June 21, 2012 yes but it comes with Wine in Ubuntu.....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now