Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

So one of our PC's b0rk'd up and needs a re-image. In a school where there's likely a 3:2 ratio of pupils and PC's/laptops, that's nothing new. However, the first few times I attempted a reimage the machine I got a bluescreen with:

 

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC0423DE0, 0xC0000185, 0x30104860, 0x847BCFF4)

fileinfo.sys - Address 847BCFF4 at 847B1000, DateStamp 4a5bc18f

 

My first guess was re-seat the memory and run a memory test. That came back clean. So I tried again and got the above bluescreen. After some light Googling, I discovered that 0xC0000185 refers to a problem with the hard disk. Easy enough, swap out, reimage again, leave it for a while and come back later.

 

Nope! Extendyneck

Apparently the installer can't create a partition or find a current partition to write to (I don't recall the exact error), so I check the drive and lo and behold, it's a 250gb drive. Whoops - that might be an old server drive, let's not use that. I find a third drive, 80GB, shove that in, reimage, same error. Only this time I get to see the 'post image' screen, saying 53 errors. Most of them are attempts at mapping and connecting to deployment share, followed by lots of 'Access Denied' entries. Joy. It also gives error codes -2147467259 and 0x800004005 (the latter of which seems to be MS's generic 'We dun goof'd' code)

 

The 'post image' screen suggests the problem is invalid credentials, but they can't be incorrect as the only thing the user needs to input is the password - and you can't even begin to image if the password is wrong.

 

So.. Anyone had this before?

Posted
Are you deploying an install via MDT or is this a norton ghost image of the drive? It sounds like a deploy in which case it sounds as though you are missing a number of drivers from your database i.e. SATA/chipset drivers and Windows LAN driver. Have you checked these exist?
Posted
Most problems with WDS are related to not have the right drives in the boot image for the hardware. If it is having problems connecting to the deployment share i would start with the network driver. I have found that a lot of device manufactures still label them up as RIS drivers and not WDS drivers.
Posted
I can neither confirm or deny which drivers are in the deployment image, but I can confirm I have successfully deployed the exact same image onto other machines of the exact same spec (including memory and hard disk)
Posted
is the bios set to ahci or ide mode at a guess the otehrs were ide this is ahci and has no sata driver in winpe so it cant wind a disk
Posted (edited)
I can neither confirm or deny which drivers are in the deployment image, but I can confirm I have successfully deployed the exact same image onto other machines of the exact same spec (including memory and hard disk)

 

Have you updated the BIOS, sometimes an old bios rom can cause random stuff like this. Also are you absoloutly sure about the identical hardware. Sometimes whitebo builds cn have slightly different boards or revisions that have slightly different hardware. Also have you checked there are no differences in BIOS config.

Edited by SYNACK
Posted
is the bios set to ahci or ide mode at a guess the otehrs were ide this is ahci and has no sata driver in winpe so it cant wind a disk
Thats a good goucha I found that on a few different laptop models
Posted

We discovered some damage to the power wires.. Looks like someone's tried to put the case back on somewhere down the line and trapped it, sheared off a nice chunk of the shielding. Well, let's bin that one, then..

We've got no more of the same model going spare, so we're using an entirely different machine spec now. I guess this'll just remain one of those unsolved mysteries xD

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...