Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm re-organising our Hyper-V hosts, and most migration is easy with SCVMM but this one could be a problem.

 

It's a file server with a fixed size VHD for the system disk, but a local RAID5 array of 3 disks for the data connected as a pass thru disk (as it seemed like there would be too much overhead making it a virtual disk)

 

If I moved the VM to another host, recreated another pass-thru disk on there (probably a larger size one), then restored all the data to that disk, should all the shares stay intact? I'm thinking in theory they should, since everything about them is stored on the system disk, and as long as the data is in the right place (D:/) with the correct permissions, it shouldnt matter that it is technically a different disk.

 

Is that correct? I'm going to test all this before I start anyway, but just wondering whether I'm correct or am I missing anything?

Posted

That is really interesting actually, thanks!

To be honest I didn't really do a huge amount of research when I set it up, just assumed there would be a huge overhead.

 

I'll make it all fixed size VHDs then, means I can split the data up a bit too

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...