overworkedunderpaid Posted February 28, 2012 Posted February 28, 2012 Dear All, I'm fairly sure that acrotray.exe (Adobe CS5 stuff) is wreaking havoc with IE9 in the Windows 7 client fleet run from a Windows 2003 RD server system. I need to set up a GPO to remove the pesky acrotray.exe and wondered if anyone knew a safe way of doing it? Many thanks in advance for any help Ray
round2it Posted February 28, 2012 Posted February 28, 2012 (edited) I would add a software restriction policy to stop acrotray.exe from running rather than remove (that would be the quickest way) and if you need the program again just remove the policy off the top of my head I think this is the policy it was a long time ago USER CONFIGURATION - ADMIN TEMPLATES - SYSTEM - Don't Run Specified Windows Applications Enable and add the executable to the list Edited February 28, 2012 by round2it 1
sonofsanta Posted February 29, 2012 Posted February 29, 2012 Computer Config > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Software Restriction Policies > Additional Rules Right click, new Path rule, path to acrotray.exe on the local machine, security level to disallowed We stop all sorts with this, works a treat. Software sometimes complains that it's been prevented from loading though, so test first. EDIT: That's in Win2k3, so you should be good to go in 2k8/R2 as well, although GPP may be able to do it there as well. I know this way definitely works though. 1
overworkedunderpaid Posted February 29, 2012 Author Posted February 29, 2012 Computer Config > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Software Restriction Policies > Additional Rules Right click, new Path rule, path to acrotray.exe on the local machine, security level to disallowed We stop all sorts with this, works a treat. Software sometimes complains that it's been prevented from loading though, so test first. EDIT: That's in Win2k3, so you should be good to go in 2k8/R2 as well, although GPP may be able to do it there as well. I know this way definitely works though. Thanks to you both. Set up GPO and removed acrotray.exe from a client in a test OU - works a treat. Will deploy tomorrow after I'm sure the network wont blow up! Kind regards, Ray
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now