6Foot2 Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Link: Facebook spies on phone users' text messages, report says | Fox News The full [sunday Times] article is behind a paywall but this provides a summary. 1
elsiegee40 Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 I read it yesterday. It's not just facebook that digs round in stuff it shouldn't and what some (many?) apps get up to is pretty bad. Some are calling premium rate numbers, many are intercepting calls and texts. Frankly, it would make think twice about a smart phone. I don't have one.
witch Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Frankly, it would make think twice about a smart phone. I don't have one. Or..you just don't use any of this kind of thing on your phone. I am pretty active on Facebook but have never seen the need to have it on my phone
mac_shinobi Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Or..you just don't use any of this kind of thing on your phone. I am pretty active on Facebook but have never seen the need to have it on my phone Just removed now - I find the iOS facebook app buggy anyway so will just use safari on the iphone if I need to access it.
Arthur Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 (edited) It's not just Facebook... http://i.imgur.com/BGnLC.png As per the table, YouTube does not collect text message data, but does collect calling information. Google did not wish to comment when speaking to a spokesperson. A Facebook spokesperson said there is "no reading of user text messages". Facebook calls out the Times piece as "completely wrong", but acknowledges that the Android application permissions require SMS read and write capabilities. Facebook said that lots of communications apps use these permissions, and the application technically has the capability to integrate with the phone’s SMS system, but added that it is for testing purposes. The company did not respond to the claim that the Times "admitted" to reading text messages, however. One question answered, and another ten questions open up. (Source) Edited February 27, 2012 by Arthur
ascott2 Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 It's not just Facebook... http://i.imgur.com/jpVDa.png As an android app developer, some of the classifications of permissions are pretty vague. For example who you are calling does not necessarily mean they check what numbers are being dialed etc, you need to read phone state, including call status to either stop or put the phone into sleep mode. The location data also can be pretty inoccuous also as ad firms require you to have this permission set, no point in seeing ads targetted for the US etc. Although saying that I am sure there are some more unscrupulous people out there that will do more with the data that they should.
Arthur Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 who you are calling does not necessarily mean they check what numbers are being dialled I was thinking the same. I haven't read the the Sunday Times article, but from what other people have said, I think it is fair to say it isn't factually accurate.
TechMonkey Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Am I right in reading this is Android only or all smart phones?
Chuckster Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Being an Android user, it has long concerned me that a lot of apps will always be intrusive in all your privacy matters. As a result of this, I have been using the DroidWall app which you can use to block certain, or all, apps from having internet access via WiFi and/or 3G connection. Another app called aSpotCat is brilliant. It identifies apps that provide ads and what level of access it has to your phone. Definitely both apps are a must for all Android users. 1
elsiegee40 Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Am I right in reading this is Android only or all smart phones? All smart phones. The Times did their research on Android, but said that Apple was no better.
TechMonkey Posted February 27, 2012 Posted February 27, 2012 Looks like it isn't all that clear cut: Facebook Denies Reading Users' Text Messages | Redmond Pie
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now