CommodoreS Posted February 17, 2012 Posted February 17, 2012 (edited) On a 2008 R2 Network, I am configuring Win 7 teacher laptops so they can work on them Offline at home. I think I have offline files configured and working correctly but have two problems: 1. As part of folder redirection the desktop is redirected to the server. When the user logs on they keep getting the error message: Network Error Windows cannot access \\servername\Shortcuts\Teachers\Desktop Is there a way to stop this error appearing? 2. MS Word keeps giving error messages about insufficient memory. As soon as plugged back into the network these disappear. Edited February 18, 2012 by CommodoreS removed 2nd problem to post in XP forum
FN-GM Posted February 17, 2012 Posted February 17, 2012 Well number one will happen because it cannot access the network share because the machine is offline. You have 2 options with this. 1. Make the desktop available offline 2. Store the redirected desktop locally
CommodoreS Posted February 17, 2012 Author Posted February 17, 2012 What is the best way to configure this then? At the moment I have the desktop redirected using folder redirection to: \\servername\Shortcuts\Teachers\Desktop Which is the share of a folder on the server where I can then place what icon I want the user to see on their desktop. I'd still like to keep this control of choosing the desktop icons, but would also like the error to disappear when the laptop is being used offline.
FN-GM Posted February 17, 2012 Posted February 17, 2012 Well the 2 options I posted above. I used option 2. I had a setup where it would copy the shortcuts from the network share. It would also get rid of any dead links for software not installed on that machine. I also used that method for the start menu. I couldn't stand seeing dead links. Another option could be to set the desktop shortcuts using group policy preferences.
CommodoreS Posted February 17, 2012 Author Posted February 17, 2012 Sorry I should have been clearer, but I am looking for a step-by-step guide of how it would be best to configure it. Either option looks fine, but I can't figure out how to configure it like that.
FN-GM Posted February 17, 2012 Posted February 17, 2012 Well we have 3 options what would you like to take?
CommodoreS Posted February 17, 2012 Author Posted February 17, 2012 Whatever one works the best. Option 2 sounds fine.
CommodoreS Posted February 17, 2012 Author Posted February 17, 2012 Yup, Users will mostly be using Windows 7, but it would be useful for it to also work in Windows XP.
CommodoreS Posted February 18, 2012 Author Posted February 18, 2012 Although it would be useful to have a step by step for option 2 still, I think I have found a solution. In User Config > Admin Templates > System > Folder Redirection > Do Not Automatically Make Redirected Folders Available Offline Was set to Enabled. I have changed it to disabled and now am getting the desktop offline without any errors and the Word memory problems no longer appear.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now