Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi folks,

 

On our DPM server we have an iSCSI Buffalo Terastation.

 

I'm trying to configure email alerts, but it's on its own subnet (172.16.0.x) versus the subnet for the rest of the network (10.121.244.x). This seems to be preventing it from contacting our internal SMTP server.

 

Anyone know if there's a way of configuring the server to route these requests from one subnet to the other?

 

Alternatively, the Terastation has a second Ethernet port which is empty. Would patching a cable from the hub into this be a better idea? This would presumably get it on the 10.121.244.x subnet via DHCP.

 

TIA

Posted
What is the gateway? in theory the gateway should do the routing whether the gateway be a core switch or firewall it should be able to route between the subnets
Posted

A gateway doesn't appear to be set for the 172.16.0.x subnet on either the server or the Terastation. Should the gateway be set to the same gateway as the 10.121.244.x subnet?

 

The modify settings for the Ethernet page on the Terastation are greyed out, so I'll need to check the manual as to why that is.

Posted

OK, I figured out how to edit the settings (iSCSI had to be turned off whilst editing).

 

I can only set one gateway for both NICs (along with primary and secondary DNS), despite being able to set address and subnet mask individually. There's a ping tool on the TeraStation, and I can ping both it and the server with the 172.16.0.x addresses, but I cannot ping anything on 10.121.244.x. For some reason it's not routing.

 

I might just try the cable from the hub into the second port of the TeraStation, as that's currently unused, and see if that then works.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...