Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am looking for a laptop running Linux as an alternative to something Windows based. I had XP on my netbook and because it didn't get turned on often, AV and Windows updates drove me up the wall.

 

I looked at Macs but closed the screen as soon as I saw the prices. :eek:

 

So far I have found a site called Linux Emporium and wondering what your take is on their prices and setup, etc. If I can have someone else pre-install stuff for me that'd be even better then sitting here for hours trying to get things "just right" (which if you have ever seen me tinker with Linux can lead to days lost! :lol: ).

 

This model has caught my eye as a possible mobile Internet/Documents/WoW system.

Posted
I had XP on my netbook and because it didn't get turned on often, AV and Windows updates drove me up the wall.

Have you considered a Windows 7 laptop/netbook? All of them will come with Windows 7 SP1 installed now, so there won't be many updates to install. ;)

 

So far I have found a site called Linux Emporium

Linux Emporium's prices are a bit on the high side. You can get an almost identical Windows laptop (with a larger HDD and a slightly faster processor) for £297 less!!! :eek:

 

By the way, you may find Canonical's huge list of Ubuntu-certified computers useful: www.ubuntu.com/certification

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Ubuntu and a few of the desktop linux distro's come pre-installed with many of the useful applications such as Open-office and the such like.

 

I'm debating ordering one of the Asus laptops and an SSD - just not sure if i can justify it to myself!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...