klop Posted February 9, 2012 Posted February 9, 2012 Hi, we have an outreach service within school buildings which is now not actually funded by the school itself but by our county council - I think. They were part of the school, and all staff were employed by the school - now things have changed. Where do we stand on licences? What were 'our' laptops / PCs etc have now become 'theirs' - are the licences valid on 'their' machines? I think they just have Office installed - maybe a few bits of curriculum software too. There's also the CAL licence I guess? Now I've been asked about adding another school's laptop to our network and putting office etc onto it - where do we stand with that? Laptop was purchased by another school for an employee of the outreach service to use. I'm not trying to be a pain - I just some clarity of what may be said should a licence audit ever take place in our school.
pete Posted February 9, 2012 Posted February 9, 2012 Hi, we have an outreach service within school buildings which is now not actually funded by the school itself but by our county council - I think. They were part of the school, and all staff were employed by the school - now things have changed. Where do we stand on licences? What were 'our' laptops / PCs etc have now become 'theirs' - are the licences valid on 'their' machines? Who paid for the hardware and licenses originally? Has the school been reimbursed? Have the licenses been transferred? Do they have their own server(s)? Do they access yours? Are they a separate network? If the Outreach Centre is being run as "Council Foo's Outreach Centre" as a separate entity (payroll, HR, Utility bills) and the school isn't responsible for any part of it, then they can't use your licenses. If simply the funding source has changed (school retains overall control) it's different. Does the outreach centre exist as a separate legal entity? Now I've been asked about adding another school's laptop to our network and putting office on it No. Unless the other school is permanently turning over ownership to you (or the Outreach Centre), they need to buy the license. If they're turning it over to the Outreach Centre, then it hinges on the earlier points. 1
klop Posted February 9, 2012 Author Posted February 9, 2012 Thanks Pete They use our servers, we have a schools agreement (or whatever the new version is called - we included their staff on the count though I believe but do need to check that) Therefore I assume we dont actually own the licence to transfer to them? The new laptop is a tad confusing. School A is purchasing it for an employee in the outreach service to use in school B School B is being re-modeled to house the outreach service too - but that wont be comlpteded for 6 months or so. So member of staff will be based here till then, using a laptop purchased by another school waiting to be used in another!
AngryTechnician Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 Schools Agreement & EES only cover a single organisation. If the equipment is no longer the legal property of the school, it is not covered. You cannot transfer the licence. Similarly, if the staff are no longer school employees, you do not need to include them in the staff count for licences (because they aren't covered). The use of your servers is also complicated because the equipment they are using no longer has valid Client Access Licenses (CALs) for your server. I advise you talk to a Microsoft licensing specialist to find out how best to proceed. There are a few companies on here that should be able to help; hopefully they will pipe up, otherwise have a squint at some of the many software licensing threads on the forums to get an idea of who's in the game. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now