Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've given App_Date folder write permission for IIS_WPG and NETWORK SERVICE but when I run the installer it's saying that it doesn't have write access. Where am I going wrong?

 

Under 'Advanced' I see that IIS_WPG Read, Write, Execute and NETWORK SERVICE has Read, Write, Execute all under entries for not inherited. Then further down there is inherited entries with ust Read & Execute for IIS_WPG and NETWORK SERVICE.

 

Think I've missed a step?

Posted
Odd then, the write access is saying that HAP can't write the app_data folder, which it needs too. The last resort is adding the everyone permission. Try looking in the event viewer's security logs for the audit failure log.
Posted
Odd then, the write access is saying that HAP can't write the app_data folder, which it needs too. The last resort is adding the everyone permission. Try looking in the event viewer's security logs for the audit failure log.
Is the inherited thing right? It's not one permission taking priority over another?
Posted
The instructions say to override the inherited permissions on the app_data folder only, elevating them to have write permissions. If you are having issues with permissions, the everyone will solve it. Don't worry, no one can access the App_Data folder without access to the server locally.
Posted
The instructions say to override the inherited permissions on the app_data folder only, elevating them to have write permissions. If you are having issues with permissions, the everyone will solve it. Don't worry, no one can access the App_Data folder without access to the server locally.

What instructions are the latest? I was using documentation.pdf from hap.codeplex.com and they make no reference to inherited permissions.

Posted

For IIS6:

1. In IIS, check that the AppPool is set to run under the network service user - See: Microsoft Corporation

2. Check that the Anonymous User is set to also use the network service user - See: IIS6.0 UI vs. IIS7.x UI Series: Anonymous Authentication : Nitasha&#39s blog : The Official Microsoft IIS Site

2. Remove inherited permissions from the HAP Folder

3. Add: Domain Admins/Administrators - Full; Network Service - Read & Execute; System - Full Control

4. On the App_Data folder override the inherited permissions from the HAP Folder (note override, not remove)

5. Add: Network Service - Read, Write & Execute

Posted

Okay, so I've made changes, but now no images load?

 

If I go to image directly /images/haplogo.png for example then I get access denied error.

Posted

Yes I've tried NT AUTHORITY\Network Service but no luck there either. There's nothng there that resembles that.

 

Just to confirm, I am going into IIS > HAP > Directory Security > Anonymous Access > Edit then Browse?

Posted

Ok IIS6 works differently. In AD create a new user called HAP. Give this user the same permissions as the network service in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\hap.

 

1. Set the AppPool to run as this user

2. Set the Anonymous User to run as this user

Posted
Ok IIS6 works differently. In AD create a new user called HAP. Give this user the same permissions as the network service in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\hap.

So are you saying for that folder add the HAP user then give it Read & Execute?

Posted (edited)

Right, I fixed that. Seems the password wasn't correct for either App Pool or Anonymous User.

 

I've still got write error though on setup. I even tried adding 'Everyone' with Write permission.

Edited by Edu-IT
Posted

Inset this into the 2nd line of setup.aspx page: after the <%@ line(s)

 


 

Then load setup.aspx, and view the source of the page, you should see , copy this code and paste it here

Posted (edited)

I did, yes.

 

The HAP user has 'Write' non-inherited and Read and Execute inherited.

 

If I give HAP full control I still get a cross on write permission.

Edited by Edu-IT

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...