Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Posted December 15, 2011 So Office 2010 SP1 seems to have a flaw whererby it activates Groove again. The fix seems to be to re-run the setup with a config.xml file after installation: "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /modify ProductName /config "\Config.xml" What would be the best way to get this to run following the roll out of the SP1 package?
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Author Posted December 15, 2011 This can't be that difficult to achieve, surely? I really can't think how to do it though. :-(
sonofsanta Posted December 15, 2011 Posted December 15, 2011 Just use PsExec after hours to send the command out to all workstations, would do the trick wouldn't it? I know that I fixed the file associations running by winword /r with PsExec, after uninstalling the 2007 Compatibility Pack fo Office 2003 stupidly removed the file associations for docx etc.
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Author Posted December 15, 2011 Ah! Would that simply be a case of running: psexec \\COMP-01 "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /modify ProPlus /config "P:\Office 2010 SP1\Config.xml" then?
sonofsanta Posted December 15, 2011 Posted December 15, 2011 I ran psexec \\* -s -d and then the command I wanted to run - I forgot what the -s and -d flags do but you need the \\* for it to hit every computer in your domain. I think the flags are silent and something else... Google will say, anyway EDIT: -s runs as system account, -d was "don't wait for application to terminate" i.e. launch and move on. Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Author Posted December 15, 2011 "T:\Staff Resources\ICT Technicians\PsTools\psexec" \\ittech-01 -s -d "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /modify ProPlus /config "P:\Office 2010 SP1\Config.xml" Doesn' seem to do anything to the remote machine.
sonofsanta Posted December 15, 2011 Posted December 15, 2011 "T:\Staff Resources\ICT Technicians\PsTools\psexec" \\ittech-01 -s -d "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /modify ProPlus /config "P:\Office 2010 SP1\Config.xml" Doesn' seem to do anything to the remote machine. You might need the FQDN of the target machine. I wrote a batch file to sit in the same directory as psexec and just called "psexec \\* -s -d [command]" - possibly that will help? Otherwise, to the event logs Batman...
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Author Posted December 15, 2011 You might need the FQDN of the target machine. I wrote a batch file to sit in the same directory as psexec and just called "psexec \\* -s -d [command]" - possibly that will help? Otherwise, to the event logs Batman... Right, so that seems to launch setup.exe on the remote machine but it doesn't look to be then going on to use the switches. /modify ProPlus /config "P:\Office 2010 SP1\Config.xml"
sonofsanta Posted December 15, 2011 Posted December 15, 2011 Right, so that seems to launch setup.exe on the remote machine but it doesn't look to be then going on to use the switches. /modify ProPlus /config "P:\Office 2010 SP1\Config.xml" Hmm, don't know then - it ran the switches for me....psexec \\* -s -d "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\winword" /r pause (pause at the end just so the window stayed open for me to read it all back) Maybe try launching something else with a switch - a cmd window with a different background colour or something, just to check that that works? I'm at a loss now to be honest, PsExec did it fine for me, so I never had to troubleshoot it particularly. Sorry
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Author Posted December 15, 2011 I've put the command into a bat file and then used: psexec \\CompName -c Office2010SP1Fix.bat and it seems to have worked. This copies the bat file to the local machine and then runs it.
Edu-IT Posted December 15, 2011 Author Posted December 15, 2011 By the way, thank you SO much for your help! Saved me a ton of head scratching @sonofsanta.
sonofsanta Posted December 16, 2011 Posted December 16, 2011 By the way, thank you SO much for your help! Saved me a ton of head scratching @sonofsanta. S'alright, glad I can return the favour from time to time
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now