Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

An update courtesy of The Register here. Looks like W8 may roll out earlier than expected. I thought it would be this time next year, but could be autumn now.

 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/06/2012_year_of_win8_tablets/

 

Microsoft has only said so far that a Windows 8 beta will hit in “early” 2012; Winrumours, citing unnamed sources, has put that at January. The Next Web claims February - with a RTM (release to manufacturers) of June - although this would be a long RTM period – RTM being the time between final code completion and that code being shipped to PC-makers and channel sellers. The Windows 7 RTM was three months – three months being something of the standard for Microsoft. Mary-Jo Foley, meanwhile, reckons it will happen "after the Consumer Electronics Show."

Next month’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada, will be critical in discerning whether it will be January, February or sometime later when we should expect Windows 8. CES is critical because it puts Microsoft, Windows 8 and Windows 8 tablets from PC and device manufacturers in the spotlight - for the consumption of gadget-makers, gadget-lovers and tech reporters. It was at CES in this year, after all, where Microsoft dropped the ARM bomb.

Posted

Well, people do joke that "every other version of Windows is worse than the one before!"

 

Kind of like Star Trek films, then! :p

Posted
Hmm.. WIndows 8 = Vista Mark II ?

 

I doubt it. With the same hardware spec as W7 and from what I have played with so far on the RM Slate, it promises to be a bit of a revelation. It's rather quite good even in it's pre-beta format.

Posted
I doubt it. With the same hardware spec as W7 and from what I have played with so far on the RM Slate, it promises to be a bit of a revelation. It's rather quite good even in it's pre-beta format.

 

Seems like it's going to be very good on tablets, I only hope I can get my hands on desktop beta (if there is one) to play with!

Posted
I doubt it. With the same hardware spec as W7 and from what I have played with so far on the RM Slate, it promises to be a bit of a revelation. It's rather quite good even in it's pre-beta format.

 

Yeah I guess it'll be perfectly suited as a Tablet OS - even if it does lack the eye candy of the ITab and Android tabs.

 

I still have deep reservations about it as a desktop/laptop OS - IE10 is really really slow (even in desktop mode) - with nothing open, it took abotu 15 seconds to render 1 character - by which time i had finished tping the url, search query.. god forbid I tried to type this out

 

oh BTW - the laptop has 2GB ram, a C2D cpu and runs like a flea on speed when I have windows 7 on it..

Put win8 on it and its like trying to walk in thick gunky tar...

 

Nor has it been a one off - of the 4-5 times I've installed win8 its been the same result

 

Oh and as for BETT - really cannot make it as it would mean a days unpaid leave - the joy of contract work! :(

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted
I'm super curios to see, and we really won't know till shipping day, how much of a first class citizen the desktop will be. They need to stay committed because most of us who program for these devices use a desktop!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...