Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi folks,

 

I'm trying to add a 2008 SP2 server to a domain that is currently all 2008 R2 servers.

 

When I try to add the server it won't let me and gives the error: An error with no description has occurred. Google turns up this error, but typically in relation to promoting DCs. I can't seem to find anything specific to just adding a server.

 

From memory I don't think I have ever added a server to a domain, although I've added many Win XP/7 clients without issue. Is there more to adding a server to a domain than just changing its system properties?

 

I have checked the DC's event viewer, and there are no errors listed at the time this is being added.

 

Any ideas?

 

TIA

Posted
Ironically I've just managed to fix it. For some reason it was the static IP address it had been assigned. Changing back to DHCP let me add it. I'll double check the static IP assignment...
Posted

When you say add it to a domain do you mean as a domain controller?

 

If you want to add it as a normal server without being a domain controller, for example a file server you would add it like a normal client OS. We call these member servers.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

This was as a member server. I wondered if there was something peculiar to adding a member server versus a client, but for some reason the static IP was causing this error.

 

Oh well, all resolved now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...