Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We have 1 or 2 HP switches bought from a refurbisher about 2yrs ago, admittedly because they where cheap though they where 2nd hand and obviously we weren't the owners "from new"! One is showing some signs of trouble though I don't know whether HP's "lifetime" warranty covers hardware that is not purchased from an actual reseller?

 

Not a huge loss if we can't claim as didn't cost much but I wondered if anyone has experience of trying (successful that is)? I have definately done it for PCs and Monitors bought 2nd hand when they have gone tits up and HP on these occasions never asked for proof of purchase etc.

Posted

3Com's 'lifetime' warranty was that they would cover it from 5 years after it went end of life - which is pretty good compared to other tech hardware.

We could return them on the serial number, irrespective of where they were bought from.

 

I'd like to think that HP would have a similar policy now; in the past I have been distinctly unimpressed with them not even being able to identify a some of their kit with a part number, serial and model, let alone offer a warranty.

Posted

Just seen this on HP site..

 

Q8. I have purchased a HP computer from a friend, is the warranty still valid ?

 

 

HP warranty services extend beyond the original purchaser to anyone who subsequently purchases the Hardware Product only if the original sales receipt can be provided.

 

If you want to know the status of an individual product warranty entitlement, refer to the HP Warranty Status tool for more information. Please note that you will need your product HP serial number.

 

 

Although HP have never asked for proof of purchase when dealing on refurb/2nd hand desktops or monitors, so would it not be the case for switches? Netgear can be a PITA about this and NG is the only switch manufacturer we've ever had to raise an RMA with (multiple times)!

Posted

Depends on the switch - value will be 3 years, most the procurve stuff is lifetime.

I shall hasten to add that any of the UK warranty stuff is rubbish. Don't forget (although many a time it's convenient to do so) we are part of the EU and therefore items sourced from the EU are still within warranty and can be dealt with by any warranty center within the EU.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Hp told me that as long as the switches were originally bought in the uk they would honor the warranty.

 

How long ago was this, as it seems to contradict some replies here and also what I am reading online? I have yet to contact HP as I want to at least have some confidence that there is a chance they'd change it, regardless as to who bought it (also as there is a lack of paperwork for it too!)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...