sidewinder Posted December 1, 2011 Posted December 1, 2011 I work at a fairly small school, around 110 computers over 3 sites. Being old buildings though, the cabling is a bit of a state. I've worked out loads since I arrived, but without test equipment, finishing the job is going to be difficult. At my old school, as it was huge, buying something high end like a Test-um Validator wasn't an issue. I'd love to get one here but not sure I can justify it? It of course does give me the ability to map and certify every point on the network, something an outside company would charge a fair bit for, and it would also allow me to run some new points myself in the future, saving using an external company (or in our case, our electrician...not a situation I'm overly happy with) and potentially saving money. My other option is to go for something like this: LanScaper Kit which we had at my old place too, and was my preferred device for quick testing (mainly due to it being quick to power up and find where a cable goes) But it isnt as sophisticated as the Test-Um, and wouldn't allow me to properly certify every point. Is there anything in the middle, cost and feature wise, or do I have enough justification to request we buy a Test-Um Validator?
cpjitservices Posted December 5, 2011 Posted December 5, 2011 Ethernet Network LAN Cat5 Cat5e RJ45 RJ11 Cable Tester | eBay I have one of the testers like in this kit cost me 2.99 off of eBay about 3 years ago and it still going string and it has tested hundreds if not thousands of cables, patch panels and network points.
sidewinder Posted December 6, 2011 Author Posted December 6, 2011 Yeah I have one like that, and it is great for verifying whether a link is working, but need something a bit more advanced to check gigabit certification and cable length (so i can find where some go!) among other things
cpjitservices Posted December 6, 2011 Posted December 6, 2011 kind of like this little beauty then... Cable Troubleshooting | Cable IQ Qualification Tester
plexer Posted December 6, 2011 Posted December 6, 2011 The lanscaper is a good bit of kit especially in the kit that gives you the tone tracer and endpoints as well. Or: MicroScanner² Cable Verifier Ben
hil Posted December 6, 2011 Posted December 6, 2011 kind of like this little beauty then... Cable Troubleshooting | Cable IQ Qualification Tester I have one of these and they are very good, had any problems with it. I have used it to test cables and make sure they are able to run gigabit. It also tells u the length of the cable. you can download the results to the computer and print off reports.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now