Michael Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 Hello all, Seeing as 2000/XP use different profiles to Vista/7 which are labelled username.V2 - If you've upgraded all workstations to Windows 7, then obviously the original 2000/XP profiles are no longer being used. Are these safe to delete to save disk space? Many thanks!
glennda Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 Yes aslong as you used redirected documents and stuff. I dis here but kept a few which I knew staff used to keep there life on there desktops.
featured_spectre Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 (edited) Actually if they are legacy profiles, then no they are not safe to delete (if you used W7 on a 2008 or previous). Even if your whole system uses .V2 now, it will still pick up legacy traits from the old profiles, so you would need to do a complete re-image of the machines in order to get it to work properly, as otherwise you will have gaps in your profiles. I learnt this from experience and hope that it helps. However if you are using 2008R2 then it should be fine. Edited November 30, 2011 by featured_spectre
plexer Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 I run delprof2 as a shutdown script to do this. Ben
Michael Posted November 30, 2011 Author Posted November 30, 2011 Yes I do redirect everything and I know what you mean about staff living off their desktops! Fortunately you can redirect their Desktops back to their home directory in 7 which makes life easier
Michael Posted November 30, 2011 Author Posted November 30, 2011 However if you are using 2008R2 then it should be fine. I am using 2008 R2.
Michael Posted November 30, 2011 Author Posted November 30, 2011 I run delprof2 as a shutdown script to do this. Ben I'm not sure how this is relevant? I thought Delprof or Delprof2 deletes locally cached profiles, not profiles stored on a file server. Windows 7 uses profiles labelled .V2 and all the original XP profiles are still there, so surely they can be deleted.
glennda Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 Actually if they are legacy profiles, then no they are not safe to delete (if you used W7 on a 2008 or previous). Even if your whole system uses .V2 now, it will still pick up legacy traits from the old profiles, so you would need to do a complete re-image of the machines in order to get it to work properly, as otherwise you will have gaps in your profiles. I learnt this from experience and hope that it helps. However if you are using 2008R2 then it should be fine. Like what? I've never had a problem with it? But when I moved over I recreated the profile share.
featured_spectre Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 Gaps in the profiles, redirects failing, GPOs not taking.
glennda Posted November 30, 2011 Posted November 30, 2011 Gaps in the profiles, redirects failing, GPOs not taking. Have to say I never got this, but all my gpo's where new when We setup 7 in a whole new ou set so it might be why.
mthomas08 Posted December 2, 2011 Posted December 2, 2011 Have to say I never got this, but all my gpo's where new when We setup 7 in a whole new ou set so it might be why. We did, but mainly because we have had so many changes, main servers replaced and all sorts. Some profiles stored old settings (locally) and with switching to Win7/2008 R2 we needed to clear out old profiles. Most of it is fixed now but we still got some PCs with old profiles - these are currently being upgraded to windows 7. Next holiday (february) I plan to do a complete wipe of all profiles accross the system.
plexer Posted December 2, 2011 Posted December 2, 2011 I'm not sure how this is relevant? I thought Delprof or Delprof2 deletes locally cached profiles, not profiles stored on a file server. Windows 7 uses profiles labelled .V2 and all the original XP profiles are still there, so surely they can be deleted. Indeed it does and if you are deleting old profiles on the servers I guess you'd want to continue and delete the old ones cached locally on clients as well. Ben
Michael Posted December 2, 2011 Author Posted December 2, 2011 Indeed it does and if you are deleting old profiles on the servers I guess you'd want to continue and delete the old ones cached locally on clients as well. Ben I don't need to, as of course all the Windows 7 clients are using the .V2.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now