Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi guys,

 

We've been using an nComputing solution for just over a year now. Firstly we were using XP - that was fine, the odd issue now and again. We're now a Windows 7 network (With 2008 R2 Servers) and have been having big problems with the nComputing solution. We have single x500 cards in small form factor Shuttle PCs, so run up to 5 stations per machine - currently 3 - 4. However, every now and again (usually if the machine is restarted/shutdown) the station screens go blank, or just have 'nComputing' on them. Logging onto the machine we get 'This device cannot start' errors in device manager. Usually reinstalling the whole lot fixes this, and sometimes even restarting the machines a few times. It's very hit and miss though. Some machines we haven't heard a peep out of. Others we we're called out two or more times a week. I've tried changing settings in the bios and creating a brand new image without other drives or devices that can conflict, but still get the issue.

 

To try and fix this, and also to get out of the 'grey area' I've now tried Multipoint Server 2011 Premium. After soom issues with sysprep (still wont hold the graphics card drivers etc - but no matter) I've got this to deploy fine. I just have to install graphics drivers and nComputing drivers and vSpace software. All sorted. Testesd in our office with a test student or two, brilliant - works!

 

I've now been told that students trying to use the stations either can't log on (just get a black screen after 'Applying Computer Settings/desktop etc' or take absolutely ages. I couldn't understand, as the two test student accounts I've used log in within 2 minutes and work fine. Also, the machine takes a while applying settings etc when booting. I think this might be down to some 32bit msi files failing to install though.

 

I've noticed in Event viewer that all is not well with group policy. Mostly folder redirection errors (access denied) and the above issue with programs installing. Does anyone know if standard GPOs designed for Windows 7 should largely be ok with MPS2011 Premium? Or what the problem could be? Aside from and/or including issues with group policy above.

 

Many Thanks

 

GreyFox

Posted
GP for W7 and MPS should be practically identical. Some software will give you trouble though like photostory which will not install on a server OS which is what MPS shows up as to applications.
Posted

Hmm, that's interesting then.

Luckily these machines are out of the IT rooms, just in our library (pretty much just office) and Science labs - some Birchfield Lesson kits etc running from the network. Will have to remove the GPO for programs though, as it keeps failing on that.

 

But no ideas about the log in issue?

 

Thank you for your input Synack.

Posted

Just to confirm again GPO's for XP/Win7 work absolutely fine on MPS 2011.

 

We are running it in one of our ICT labs.

 

I am also running an X550 card in an XP machine and have never experienced the issue you are describing.

 

Ben

Posted
I am also running an X550 card in an XP machine and have never experienced the issue you are describing

 

XP was fine. But we're now on Windows 7 and Multipoint Server 2011 Premium.

 

I've had anothe look through the logs Synack and can't seem to find anything. I've also had the machine on in the office and got students to log into it when they come to get passwords reset etc and all have worked fine. Might not be the machine after all.

Posted
I have similar issues with my ncomputing multipoint server setup. Generally long startup, about 1-2mins longer on applying computer settings than Windows 7. This isn't .msi related I think it's something to do with Multipoint itself. I recommend double checking your share permissions and making sure grant user exclusive rights for folder redirections to my documents, desktop and start menus is unticked.
Posted

You say to untick grant user exclusive rights? I can give that a try I guess.

Had it working fine in the office, got about 8 students to log in, all fine. Took back to the Library and the first students to log in got a black background and a mouse pointer - Nothing else.

I shall give your suggestion a try. I've removed the msi files now anyway. Still faffs around a bit before anyone can log in.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi,

 

Had such a busy few days, only just got round to looking at this. 'Grant user exclusive rights...' was unticked in all the user policy settings I could find. So that isn't a fix for us I'm afraid. Any other ideas? You said about share permissions. Students only have access to their folders, so \\servername\User Data\Students\Student Year\*Username* There is no mention anywhere else up the tree of students. But this is working fine for them everywhere else.

Had a week of failing machine in the library where the nComputing software keeps failing. It really doesn't like Windows 7!

 

Thanks

 

GreyFox

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...