Uplift Posted September 21, 2011 Posted September 21, 2011 Has anyone had any experience with joining Windows 7 Professional computers to a Windows 2000 Server domain? We just got 31 new PCs in school, i've added them to our 2000 domain but are having problems. First of all, logon seems to be taking a while. The computers don't seem to be applying the GPO's.. the proxy settings are left blank, but when i go to Lan Settings on the machine it says the settings are managed by an administrator, this is correct but it does this even when i login as admin, or as a local account on the machine, so there is no way at all to change the settings? i'm getting this on a lot of stuff. I have googled and have read lots about changing NTLM settings? changing some registry settings? but most of its on Microsoft forums and those forums just mess with my head (is it just me or are they so confusing to follow?) ... Hopefully someone here has been in a similar situation? Thanks.
jamesfed Posted September 21, 2011 Posted September 21, 2011 I know budget might be an issue but personaly I wouldn't even bother that kind of setup (7 on Server 2000) - expecily considering Server 2000 is now outside of even extended support from Microsoft.
Uplift Posted September 21, 2011 Author Posted September 21, 2011 I'm aware of that we do have a 2008 server for when we decide to promote. one step at a time though.. it's just unfortunate that we must install the 7 pcs first.
jamesfed Posted September 21, 2011 Posted September 21, 2011 I'm aware of that we do have a 2008 server for when we decide to promote. one step at a time though.. it's just unfortunate that we must install the 7 pcs first. Grand stuff - we used to use 7 on 2008 and it works a treat (make sure you demote your 2000 and raise the forest functional level as well assuming you have no other seriously old machines). I know it’s not of much use and I don't wish to annoy but I would sort out your back end infrastructure (getting the 2008 server up and running) before you chew through any more time on getting 7 working on 2000 - ultimately all of that work will be undone the moment you promote your 2008 to a DC anyway.
SYNACK Posted September 21, 2011 Posted September 21, 2011 Do the server migration first, in order to get them going reasonably you are going to end up spending a bunch of time tweaking and messing all of which will be wasted and counter productive when you move the server to 2008 anyway. Just do it in the right order to start with.
sted Posted September 21, 2011 Posted September 21, 2011 wny not just promote the 08 box as a 2nd dc?
Uplift Posted September 21, 2011 Author Posted September 21, 2011 I suppose the reason i haven't done it yet is because i haven't done it before... i've been told by our service team that i should allow 2 weeks, although i find that hard to believe. I already have the 08 box setup as a second DC, but need the raise the forest functional level. the 2000 is still the main DC. Any advice on moving forward would be great? are there any plain english guides/info i can read online?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now