Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

firstly sorry if this post makes little to no sense, it's only my second week into my new job as the IT Technician of a state grammar school and it's been information overload already :-)

 

I've recently been handed 20 new iPod touches along with a new macbook to look after. They would like to use the ipod's in lessons, I'm currently learning my way around the iphone configuration utility to work out how to lock down parts of the ipods. I've used apple products for a while, but I was wondering if anyone out there could give a new guy any advice on the best kinds of set up (i've already had a skim of the forums and found some info) but my main question was are there any free apps that anyone has come across that may be useful in a classroom environment for different subjects? The head suggested that english and Languages had expressed an interest.

 

Any suggestions welcome for the new guy to a school environment! :-)

Posted

Without wishing to sound like an a$$, shouldn't they check to see if there were useful apps for 20 ipod touches before buying them?

 

I've seen a few bits of useful educational software on the apple store when I've gone looking myself, but don't remember that much of it being free. Have you seen this?

 

There's all the stuff like google earth, dictionaries, etc.

  • Thanks 2
Posted

Hi Matt

 

There are many educators out there using iPads / iPods for a variety of things.

Initially I would recommend reading Some of Ian Wilson's stuff and following him on twitter. iPads in Education

If you can chat to the folk at a nearby Apple RTC then they can help too.

 

Good luck and keep us all informed of how things are going.

Posted

not so much an app but a tool - a sledge hammer or drill

 

or

 

but i seriously echo Roberto's comments - they school should seriously be looking in to why they have purchased 20 ipods without even thinking about there use first - its like me ordering the spaceshuttle - it might be useful one day to the school.

 

but you could look at something like emerge for teaching staff Groupcall Emerge - the powerful yet intuitive iPhone / iPod 'App' which enables schools to have an up-to-the-minute copy of their MIS data instantly and securely available in the palm of their hand

Posted
ipodtouch_v1a.pdfthis pdf shows the apps that we have been using with primary schools. By using folders we have managed to get them on just two pages. The best tip I can give is to setup one exactly how you want it then back it up and then copy the backup to your other device and then change the name. Also you can lock quite a few things in the settings. I'm happy to answer any question (if I can) either pm me or post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...