dezt Posted March 29, 2007 Posted March 29, 2007 We have a school moodle site hosted on CLEO's servers. I was wondering if there was any way I could setup the user accounts to use the same logon information as they do when they logon normally?
dezt Posted March 29, 2007 Author Posted March 29, 2007 Oh well, looks like they can make there own accouts with stupid names then.. Could I import user accounts from a csv, or do they need an e-mail account in the file befor it will import?
Geoff Posted March 29, 2007 Posted March 29, 2007 I'm unfamilar with how much access you have to the moodle configuration. Can you access the authentication controls at all? If you can, you can disable account creation and import your users manually. BTW, our moodle site (http://vle.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk ) is hosted locally inschool and has access to AD. Therefore it uses the same login details as the Windows network. We use the reverse proxy service CLEO provides. Is this not a viable option for you?
dezt Posted March 29, 2007 Author Posted March 29, 2007 To be honest I don't know, I always thought you had implemented the reverse proxy yourselves, I didn't realise it was through CLEO. I'll have a look into that. I do have access to the authentication page which lets me switch off the account creation and allows me to import the user accounts manually. Now I just have to sort out e-mail addresses for the 650ish pupils we have. groan....
Ric_ Posted March 29, 2007 Posted March 29, 2007 I dumped a list of users from AD, along with their names and email addresses. I was then able to import this into Moodle... the docs on moodle.org will tell you how. For the course registration, I have told the teachers to set a password on their courses so that they can give said registration password to their class(es) and then they can join the course. This isn't ideal by any means but it is currently the only way to do it. If you want a further chat about how I did it please contact me.
SimpleSi Posted March 29, 2007 Posted March 29, 2007 On the Lancs Moodle Basic Admin course (free - get yourself on one ), the lecturer gave many examples of how to authorise - one of which involved using a POP3 mail account. Maybe if your run a mail server internally that can be synced with your AD info, then you could authenticate against the mail server accounts. No idea if this is practicable of course regards Simon
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now