jamesb Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 I remember that some time ago all USB keys had one of these switches, but now I'm having difficulty finding one. We've had enough virus problems recently that I want to create a few USB keys with read-only switches and a bootable Linux recovery LiveCD. I've got the recovery CD, but what I really need is the USB keys with that switch. Does anyone know where to get them? Thanks in advance.
chazzy2501 Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 you could use an sdcard and usb reader. As long as the usb converter obeys the readonly flag of the SD card it'll be fine. You can also format a USB key into a CDFS (CD file system) that file system doesn't allow data to be written. 1
jamesb Posted July 18, 2011 Author Posted July 18, 2011 you could use an sdcard and usb reader. As long as the usb converter obeys the readonly flag of the SD card it'll be fine. You can also format a USB key into a CDFS (CD file system) that file system doesn't allow data to be written. The SD card would be an option and I'll look into it, thanks for that. The CDFS idea isn't a bad one, but we do want to be able to update virus definitions on the toolkit and other updates without having to rebuild each time.
plexer Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/76822-make-usb-write-protected.html
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now