PaulO99 Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 I am preparing to replace our existing 2003 domain with a 2008 R2 setup. We have brand new hardware and I would like to get it up and running without connecting to the exisiting setup because I don't want to take across any crud that inevitably exists in a 6 yr old system. The two major challenges that I can see are moving over the user profiles (<100 users) and email (Exchange 2003 <100 users) I have been asked to provide Exchange 2010 with high availability hence the Enterprise version of 2008 R2. What recommendations / advice would you give and please be gentle because it isn't an ideal world and reality rules The existing setup is Server 1 - DC (GC) AD DNS DHCP Remote Access/VPN FileServer PrintServer (no longer used) ISA 2004 Server 2 - DC (GC) AD DNS DHCP CA FileServer Application Server Exchange 2003 + OWA AntiSpam Server 3 FileServer Application Server PrintServer (in use) AntiVirus
eddyc Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 I think your best bet would be to pick a new domain name and then start over - Once you have the main roles such as active directory running, you could then create a trust between the two domains to move the users and mailboxes over to the new system. 1
andrew-virtusolve Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 I would think it would be much easier to add the new servers into the same Active Directory and Exchange Organization to ease the migration challenges. You can move the mailboxes between the two servers then and do the whole thing without any serious downtime - although the mailbox moves can take forever to migrate unless they are tidied up first. If you are confident of the integrity and state of your existing AD implementation, this is the best way IMO. Have just done three of these in the past two months, so have a list of gotcha's and lessons learned - PM me if you want any advice. ... and just because I work for a Virtualisation specialist, I would also have to give the advice that I hope you are going virtual, then you have the added benefits of a decent backup of the original config and snapshotting if there are any major challenges along the way! 2
Roberto Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 (edited) I can only echo Andrew's comments. Unless there is something fundamentally wrong with your current domain structure (and you've said nothing to suggest that there is) then this is basic stuff from both a AD and Exchange migration point of view. Avoiding migrating "any crud that inevitably exists in a 6 yr old system" is as simple as simply retiring all the old servers once the new servers are in place and working properly. (Note that when I say "simply retiring" AD and Exchange servers - there is a process to be followed for both domain controllers and exchange servers for this, which you will need to follow, but its not difficult, just a bunch of work that has to be done) I don't mean that to belittle you for asking, so I hope it doesn't come across that way, I mean to say that this is a great chance to keep it as simple as possible and take advantage of the easy parts of the migration routine. You can get major portions of the job done simply, giving you more time to spend polishing the new features of the updated system, and ironing out any small bugs that do pop up on the migrated result without having to stress yourself or your users out unduly. Edited July 6, 2011 by Roberto 1
sukh Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 1. Use you Exisitign AD forest and build a new Exch server and integrate into you r existing Exch Org. What you are saying, isnt a valid reason to create a new Forest. 2. Migrating within a Exch is simpler than Corss-Org. If you're migrating within the Org, then you dont have to worry about, PF migration if used, Free/Busy, GAL synch if need to maintain co-existence, AD trusts etc..., mailbox moves across forest, and as your're using Exch 2003, you will have to either spend some money or write some clever PS scripts etc.... 3. For your Exch 2010, make sue you DONT install on a DC as you have with your Exch 2003 svr. 4. To make Exch HA/FT - You need to think every different roles, such as the CAS, HUB and MBX. Which I would typically see in an env like yours. 5. Consider how many AD sites you have, as Exch will have to be deployed accordingly. 6. Create CAS array regardless if you have one server CAS to start with. 7. High level, have 2 CAS servers, 2 HUB per AD site. Configure DAG with at least 3 or worse case with 2 servers. 8. Now you might be thinking there are quite a few servers you need, and yes, you do if you want HA/LB. For this I'd suggest that your virtualise, but make sure your virtual infra is resillient. 9. HA, OWA/EAS etc... 10. If you use app relay, HA/LN this. 11. You can use WNLB or HLB, understand the difference between thyese and their limitations. 12. If using WNLB you cant have this on the same svrs as DAG nodes. There's quite abit to think about for Exch if you want HA/LB. 1
PaulO99 Posted July 12, 2011 Author Posted July 12, 2011 sukh, I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier but I have been 'up to my ears' in rack components in preparation for the changeover. Many thanks for your advice and as you say 'quite a bit to think about'. There are moments when I think I have a clear picture in my head and then the 'fog rolls in'. PaulO99
sukh Posted July 13, 2011 Posted July 13, 2011 @PaulO99 - Np, when you get started let me know, of if there's any specifics areas youre not too sure about, I'll help you as much as I can.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now