Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Can I take a VM from a 2008R2 Hyper-V host and boot it in on a Windows XP host? I need to take down the physical DC and rather than leaving one virtual DC left on its lonesome I thought about moving a second virtual DC to a desktop machine temporarily. Unfortunately, I seem to remember something about not being able to run a 64bit guest on a 32bit host - true? If that is the case I suppose I could wipe and install hyper-v server on a desktop machine.
Posted
Can I take a VM from a 2008 R2 Hyper-V host and boot it in on a Windows XP host?

No. How long do you think the other physical DC be down for?

 

 

Unfortunately, I seem to remember something about not being able to run a 64bit guest on a 32bit host - true?

You can't run a 64bit vm on 32bit OS.

Both VMware Workstation and VirtualBox support 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts with the right hardware, but that's not much use in your case.

Posted

http://geekswithblogs.net/twickers/archive/2009/02/06/129243.aspx

 

Starting with VirtualBox v2.1, you can even run 64-bit guests on a 32-bit host operating system, so long as you have sufficient hardware.

 

In detail, 64-bit guests are supported under the following conditions:

  1. You need a 64-bit processor with hardware virtualization support (see chapter 1.2, Software vs. hardware virtualization (VT-x and AMD-V), page 10).

  2. You must enable hardware virtualization for the particular VM for which you want 64-bit support; software virtualization is not supported for 64-bit VMs. Note: On most systems, the hardware virtualization features first need to be enabled in the BIOS before VirtualBox can use them.
  3. If you want to use 64-bit guest support on a 32-bit host operating system, you must also select a 64-bit operating system for the particular VM. Since supporting 64 bits on 32-bit hosts incurs additional overhead, VirtualBox only enables this support upon explicit request.

On 64-bit hosts, 64-bit guest support is always enabled, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the guest.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...