Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I have Ubuntu Server 11.04 running on a Dell GX760 at the moment. I have it setup exactly how I need and I want to know if there is a way to virtualise this physical machine and stick it in Hyper-V?
Posted
I want to know if there is a way to virtualise this physical machine and stick it in Hyper-V?

 

In the past, I've always moved Debian / Ubuntu servers from physical to virtual simply by tar-ing the file system of the physical machine and un-tar-ing it again on the virtual machine:

 

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/46749-converting-physical-vm.html

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/56510-software-raid1-setting-up-already-configured-system.html

Posted
wow - quick response. Thanks I will try tar-ing the system. Never played with Ubuntu until I built this one so i guess it will be interesting!!!
Posted

I thought hyper-v only supports redhat?

 

To be honest though, linux configurations are so easy to port to other machines it might actually be quicker to move the config onto a fresh install.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...