Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello, all..

 

I've been dabbling with Win7 (32bit) and I've come across a bit of a snag with Office 2003 Professional. Quite a big one, actually.

 

Using the exact same installer script as we use on our XP boxes, I'm finding that non-admins running any of the Office 2003 apps see 3 lots of Windows installer boxes (one after the other), followed by an error message:

 

So, for example with Word..

 

Preparing to install

Preparing to install

Preparing to install

 

An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly.

Please run Setup and select "Repair..." to restore this application.

 

Click OK, and Word will run

 

Exit, and re-run and you get the same thing.

 

If I make the user account a local administrator, then it works.

 

It doesn't matter if the user is a local user account or a domain one - it's the same problem.

 

It isn't UAC, as I've disabled that as part of the build.

 

 

If I select "Start, Run" and enter WINWORD then I only see the dialog box twice and Word runs properly.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions before I put my fist through the monitor? :)

 

 

Regards,

Gerard

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

After I had a few minutes to ponder on it without people bothering me, I believe I've sussed what the problem is, and it's nothing to do with Office :)

 

Part of our XP builder script includes a couple of SETACL commands to block users from being able to create files/folders at the root of C:\

 

On 7, it appears that it also stops them from being able to READ the root of C:\ - ho hum.

 

So I've removed that from the Win7 building script, put in a GPO which sets the local "Users" and "Authenticated Users" groups to Read, and all appears to be well with the world. Huzzah!

 

So 1 down, several 1000 to go :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...