MaXiM Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Hi I have a mixed XP /Windows 7 environment on a 2003 domain. I have enabled active desktop wallpaper and pointed it to a picture in a share. For some reason if I use jpg files I just get an annoying black screen and the user has to refresh the screen for the image to appear. If I use a BMP then this problem goes away... But I would rather use JPEGS if at all possible. I set the res to 1400 x 900 and the image to stretch if anyone has a bigger screen. as i said with BMP's it works a treat.. just not with jpegs.. Anybody found a solution to this before?
Steve21 Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 By any chance do you have "Turn on Classic Shell" enabled? Could you try disabling it, and testing on a test pc. I know this causes issues sometime, because active desktop is only needed for JPEGs (BMPs dont use it even if you set it to a BMP), and classic shell causes problems with active desktop sometimes. Worth a try if you got test machine laying about. Steve
Arthur Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 Anybody found a solution to this before? Use BMPs or upgrade all of your XP PCs to Windows 7 (which natively supports JPGs as wallpaper).
MaXiM Posted April 11, 2011 Author Posted April 11, 2011 No I don't have classic shell, I don't like the Windows 95 theme.
MaXiM Posted April 11, 2011 Author Posted April 11, 2011 It's interesting what you say about Active Desktop not even being used. I will try that out, thanks.
Mullaney18 Posted April 11, 2011 Posted April 11, 2011 I think this hotfix should be right up your street: KB 977944 ~Chris
Arthur Posted April 12, 2011 Posted April 12, 2011 (edited) I would rather use JPEGs if at all possible. Using JPEGs with XP is completely pointless IMO since Windows converts the image to a BMP whether you like it or not (even with Active Desktop enabled). [b]Windows Explorer / Picture and Fax Viewer - Right-click image » Set As Desktop Background [/b] %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\[color="red"]Wallpaper1.bmp[/color] Windows 7 on the other hand doesn't convert it into BMP format because it can use JPGs as wallpaper. [b]Windows Explorer - Right-click image » Set As Desktop Background[/b] %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\[color="red"]TranscodedWallpaper.jpg[/color] Other programs still convert the image into a BMP regardless of OS though. [b]Internet Explorer - Right-click image » Set As Background[/b] %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\[color="red"]Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp[/color] [b]Firefox - Right-click image » Set As Desktop Background[/b] %UserProfile%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\[color="red"]Desktop Background.bmp[/color] Edited April 12, 2011 by Arthur
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now