daveyboy Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 Just thought I'd ask as I might have an interesting project ahead of me.
webman Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 Nope, never used it. I prefer Debian-based distros such as Ubuntu.
daveyboy Posted March 1, 2007 Author Posted March 1, 2007 Christ - posted @5.24 - reply @5.26 Thats quick!
CyberNerd Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 What does SLED do that OpenSuSE (or any other distro) doesn't - apart from the support from Novell/Microsoft? Or do you need assurance that MS won't sue you ?
NetworkGeezer Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 @Cybernerd Aren't Fedora and OpenSuse more exprimental than RHEL and SLED respectively. Abit like Debian's Test verses Stable branches? I thought that's why you used CentOS rather than Fedora
CyberNerd Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 The last Suse I used was 10.1(I payed for it, but could use on as many machines as I liked - I supported SuSE this way since 8.1) I was under the impression OpenSuSE is stable and the new name for SuSE (cost-free) and SLED is licensed per machine containing proprietary software - with a ban on copying ? I got annoyed with SuSE and migrated to Ubuntu Still use Centos for servers, but finding many things easier in ubuntu now....
daveyboy Posted March 1, 2007 Author Posted March 1, 2007 @CyberNerd I cant say just yet. I would like to get the project approved by those above me first. But it has to be SLED - not even OpenSUSE.
Geoff Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 100% Ubuntu here. Using 6.06 for the long term support though.
CyberNerd Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 is a SLED demo available anywhere?, I'd like to see it (but don't feel Novell need any more of my personal cash !)
daveyboy Posted March 1, 2007 Author Posted March 1, 2007 SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Download Need to register though.
CyberNerd Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 thanks, downloading now. already not impressed though - no bittorrent, epic registration and I can't even complete the reg here and wget it from school !!!!
CyberNerd Posted March 1, 2007 Posted March 1, 2007 I did, but my usual tactic when at home is to do the web registration here then log into school using ssh, copy the download location and wget [url]http://server/file.tgz[/url] so that the file arrives on my desktop in hte morning, saves burning CD's etc
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now