HallX Posted March 10, 2011 Posted March 10, 2011 Hi I've done a search but cant find an answer for this strange phenomenon. Open Excel, right click a cell & choose insert comment. Excel crashes, CPU %100, have to shut Excel down using task manager. This happens irrespective of logged on user. Reinstalled Office 2003 to no avail. Help!! Paul
sven Posted March 10, 2011 Posted March 10, 2011 I assume you have all the latest updates for your OS as well as the latest service pack for Office 2003 installed? Also, does this happen on a single computer, or multiple? 1
HallX Posted March 10, 2011 Author Posted March 10, 2011 @sven Latest Office service pack on, never thought about Windows updates though DOH! Will check. Only happening on 1 computer but ,as I mentioned, it is affecting all users. I'll check updates now. Paul
sven Posted March 10, 2011 Posted March 10, 2011 It's highly unlikely that Windows updates will correct the issue. I can't even count how many times I've tried it for various issues int he past and I don't ever think it's resolved anything. But it's always the first port of call for myself! If you're running the same hardware elsewhere with the exact same OS setup, then it's pretty likely to be an issue with that particular installation/hardware.
HallX Posted March 10, 2011 Author Posted March 10, 2011 Its an office computer, standard install along with other similar machines. After WU I'll probably have to reimage the computer by the sound of things. Thanks for the help. Paul
sven Posted March 10, 2011 Posted March 10, 2011 No problem. Just as a tester, I would take an image from a machine that you know it works fine on and bang that on the machine you;re having a problem with. If you get the same result, you can blame dodgy hardware. Sven.
HallX Posted March 10, 2011 Author Posted March 10, 2011 @sven Found it. Every time I selected "Insert Comment" I noticed 2 things happened in the process tab in task manager, excel.exe shot to 50% and another process "aware.exe" showed up to 2%. Stopping the aware.exe process allowed the comment to insert without issue. Aware.exe is a process associated with SMART board drivers, uninstalling these solved the problem. Paul
sven Posted March 10, 2011 Posted March 10, 2011 Brilliant. There are some new SMART product drivers out now, which I have updated across the school. You can always try updating the board drivers and software and see if you still get the same result. Glad you've solved this mystery now
HallX Posted March 10, 2011 Author Posted March 10, 2011 There are some new SMART product drivers out now, which I have updated across the school. You can always try updating the board drivers and software and see if you still get the same result. Fortunately this is an office computer and the drivers are not required, just the SMART Tools.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now