Hightower Posted February 16, 2011 Posted February 16, 2011 I've created an MMC to allow users to change students passwords, and delegated it necessary etc. However, to run this MMC the machine needs the AD snap-in installed. What's the best way to install this on certain machines only (XP)? Can it be done using MSI?
glennda Posted February 16, 2011 Posted February 16, 2011 Windows 7 or XP? If xp then just deploy adminpak.msi. To the machines that will need it - then remove access to the administrative tools snap ins T EDIT: just read it was xp - so just deploy the msi 1
Hightower Posted February 17, 2011 Author Posted February 17, 2011 How does one go about removing access to the admin tools snap-in? GPO?
glennda Posted February 17, 2011 Posted February 17, 2011 You should be able to restrict it through gpo to only allow specific MMC things to open. I.e just specify dsa.msc. I will have a poke around to find where the setting is. Toby 1
Hightower Posted February 17, 2011 Author Posted February 17, 2011 That's wicked - I'm some way off sorting out MSI's and images etc, but this will come in handy for when I get to that stage. It's good to be prepared
glennda Posted February 17, 2011 Posted February 17, 2011 I think its this user config/polices/admin templates/windows componets/Microsoft Management Console - then restrict all bar the Active Directory Users and Comps snap in Toby
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now