harryeds Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Hi, our school's just bought a new admin server and my plan was to run SIMSInst.exe to set it up as a new server, then copy the database across from the old server - (most posts in this forum support this). However, when setting up SIMS on the new server I get the following message after it runs SQL Express 2008 Setup: SIMS Installer couldn't detect a valid SQL Instance. Please re-run SIMSInst.exe to set up your SIMS SQL server. I've tried running SIMSInst again and now have 3 SQL instances set up but still get this message!! Any ideas? I'm using Server 2008 R2, which Capita (supposedly) supports.
edutech4schools Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 Are you filling in the config page, link found on first page during install?
matt40k Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 Have you enabled TCP\IP in Sql Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols I'm using Server 2008 R2, Do they now?
vikpaw Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 Don't you create the instance you want to install on first yourself? It has to be a named instance, not a default / unnamed one.
vikpaw Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 (edited) Have you enabled TCP\IP in Sql Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols Do they now? Autumn 2010 wasn't it? Or did i read it wrong and it's Spring, along with all the other cool and funky stuff. EDIT: Yep, Autumn 2010 sees the commencement of support for windows 7 64 bit and windows server 2008 R2 64 bit (from roadmap 2010 #16472) EDIT2: We are talking about Windows server not SQL server aren't we?? Edited January 28, 2011 by vikpaw addition
harryeds Posted January 29, 2011 Author Posted January 29, 2011 Thanks for your replies - Edutech I definately haven't seen a link to a config page but have filled in all pages during installation. Matt, TCP/IP is already enabled and Vikpaw, yes I was talking about Windows Server. Any other ideas?
SYNACK Posted January 29, 2011 Posted January 29, 2011 Is the firewall open for port 1433 (SQL) sometimes windows can get in its own way.
GREED Posted January 29, 2011 Posted January 29, 2011 2 Options: You need to ensure you have the most up-to-date SIMSinst.exe which will see SQL installations (there have been problems in the past) You could opt to install as workstation and Doc Server. The manually run SIMSSeverApplicationSetup.exe to install necessary tools. Finally, using SQL SMS you can attached the database. Ensure sims.ini and connect.ini files are point to the correct database name. The part in the SIMSinst install for the server only does all mentioned above automatically for you. Good luck 1
vikpaw Posted January 29, 2011 Posted January 29, 2011 Is the system all up to date and patched, including all pre-requisites. I remember having to jump some hoops before getting the full SQL 2008 to install. Perhaps you could restart and try installing your own SQL, Express or Full, and then trying SIMSinst after.
harryeds Posted January 29, 2011 Author Posted January 29, 2011 Thanks, I'll try all of that and let you guys know!!
glennda Posted January 30, 2011 Posted January 30, 2011 I know for the full version you need sql 2008 sp1 for it to work correctly on 2k8 r2 - possibly this could be needed for express? just a thought 1
superfletch Posted January 30, 2011 Posted January 30, 2011 I've installed/moved SIMS a lot recently. I'm pretty sure Matt40k's answer is right. Can you check that the SIMS related instance of SQL has TCP/IP enabled? If not then I apologise.
harryeds Posted February 3, 2011 Author Posted February 3, 2011 No, TCP/IP is definitely enabled; I didn't need to enable it either, it had been done for me, presumably by the installer. Thanks to GREED for his response, which solved the problem and clarified things for me and thanks to all the rest of you too.
GREED Posted February 4, 2011 Posted February 4, 2011 No, TCP/IP is definitely enabled; I didn't need to enable it either, it had been done for me, presumably by the installer. Thanks to GREED for his response, which solved the problem and clarified things for me and thanks to all the rest of you too. No problems at all, do come back if we can help out any more!
Quackers Posted October 2, 2013 Posted October 2, 2013 Having the same issue, trying to install a new Server 2012/SQL 2012 install but the "Use this SQL Instance for SIMS" drop down box on SIMSInst is empty, where do i get this newer version if SIMSInst?
matt40k Posted October 2, 2013 Posted October 2, 2013 Look at the date - Jan 2011, it's referring to SQL 2008 R2 You're after the new SIMSINST which supports SQL 2012 which is discussed here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/124504-sims-installable-release.html Short answer - it doesn't exist.... yet.
Quackers Posted October 2, 2013 Posted October 2, 2013 I saw the date but its the closest match, Supportnet is next to useless.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now