Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Linux File Server in Windows Domain...


Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay chaps - would really appreciate some advice here.

I've never used a Linux system in anger... have played plenty with desktops and OS apps but not really servers.

I have an HP ML110 P4 3Ghz 1 Gb RAM 3x500Gb SATA HDD ready to go.

Even 3 months ago I would have thrown Windows 2003 R2 on it, configured quotas and volume shadow copies and that would have been that.

However, after trying Vista for 2 months on my desktop I am very disillusioned with MS and am very very tempted to go with Ubuntu Server and Samba for the file server...

I understand that quotas and volume shadowing are possible but my question is... could anyone share their experiences with me and give me any pointers please? I have looked at the usual sources and guides eg howtoforge etc.

I am expecting a steep learning curve but would love to hear your thoughts on what I should go for....

Will it integrate and play nicely with AD? Will I be able to offer quotas and volume shadowing to users? Does it work?

Thanks...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...